• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Range MGR5755QDS Surface ignitor stays on when oven is off

tvkenny

Premium Member
Model Number
MGR5755QDS
Brand
Maytag
OK, about a week ago I was baking in my gas oven and I heard a click and the power was cut off to my range. I reset the circuit breaker, turned oven back on ,and finished baking. Went to turn off oven and could not get it to shut off. So I flipped the circuit breaker. After the oven cooled down I again reset circuit breaker and saw that the surface ignitor was glowing even though the oven was off so again I shut the circuit breaker off.

I guess I figured the control board had showed its age so I find a used one on ebay, only $31. I installed the new/used control board once it arrived and turned the power back on, all is well.

I fired up the oven and it was working fine for about 15 minutes and then click...no power to oven, blew the circuit breaker. Again, after it cooled down and I turned the power back on and the ignitor would glow. I did not leave the power on very long to see if it stops glowing.

And poking around the range the second time I noticed that the oven light was kinda popped out of the back of the oven and looks like some light burn marks on it( the wire side), although it does work when I turn the light on but the light was never on during the baking process.

So do you think the dislodged oven lamp could have been the culprit and do you think I fried another control board? I did have 120v at the ignitor with power to the oven but oven off. There are no obvious marks on the control board and I tested the thermostat, ignitors, and gas valves with ohm meter and nothing seemed off to me with my very limited knowledge in that area. Any advice would be much appreciated.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I find a used one on ebay, only $31
$300 part for $31 ?? That should have been a red flag right from the start. Here's the part you need:
whirlpool-clock-overlay-blk-wp74009217-ap6011106_01_l.jpg

tvkenny

Premium Member
Well, a nice new part for $300 sounds good and all, however I feel I would be in the same situation with $269 less dollars in my pocket. The fact that the inexpensive used part worked for 15-20 minutes tells me the part was fine, there is just some other underlying condition causing this failure. What that is is the million dollar question.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The fact that the inexpensive used part worked for 15-20 minutes tells me the part was fine,
Tells me just the opposite. Voltage for the igniter comes from the board. If you have 120 VAC at the igniter with the oven turned off, the only thing it can be is the board. I would certainly check the board is not touching the frame. Check for any other error codes. Press and hold Up Arrow pad then power up the unit. Cycle through the codes using the number pads 1 through 5.