• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag Range MGR8800FZ0 Gas Oven burner turns on for a few second and never preheats

jcornaglia

Premium Member
Model Number
MGR8800FZ0
Brand
Maytag
My maytag oven will allow me to hit Bake, then start (preset at 350degrees for preheating) . The bake igniter will spark, the gas gets released and the oven burner will fire up. However, this will only last a few seconds and never fire up again to continue the preheat cycle. I took the igniter out, I cleaned it(light sandpaper) to remove some corrosion but I only get a few seconds of burn each time. The broiler igniter is different so I can't swap one for the other to test that it is the igniter but does anyone have a suggestion as to what needs to be replaced or tested? This is a DSI(I think) direct spark igniter NOT the glowbar style. The igniter works the first time only and never resparks unless I shut the over off and try another preheat cycle. Any help appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
With that corrosion on the bake ignitor, that sounds like the problem. The broil ignitor is working fine correct? You have a good ground? No ground wires are broken?

This is how it works--->Once the gas has ignited, the “flame safety circuit” will monitor the flame at the burner to make sure it is present. If a flame is not present at the burner or not recognized by the DSI control, the control will allow the ignitor to spark for 4 seconds followed by a 40 second delay to dissipate any unused gas inside the oven. The ignition attempt will occur three times. If the burner does not ignite after the three attempts, or if the DSI control doesn't "see" a flame after three attempts, the system will "lockout". During a lockout, the gas distribution valve and ignition are turned off. All lockouts can be reset by pressing the OFF/Cancel keypad] on the Electronic Oven Control.

If you're not having the same issue with the Broil setting, replace the bake igniter. If you're experiencing the same issue with broil, replace the DSI control.

Here's the oven bake ignitor for your model you can order:
WPW10324262 Igntr-Oven

WPW10511278 DSI Module-Spk

Jake

jcornaglia

Premium Member
Correct, the broil igniter is working just fine... thank you for the link to the parts. I will try to clean the bake igniter a bit better and order a new one and see if that does the trick. If not, I will order the DSI module. Thank you again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good, yes keep us posted.

Jake

jcornaglia

Premium Member
I cleaned the bake igniter again. So far the oven has preheated and cooked as it was designed to do 99% of the time. There was one instance of it stopping at 235 degrees and not going higher but we shut off the bake cycle and turned the oven back on and everything worked the way it should. I will continue to monitor this and replace parts if it stops working completely. Thank you again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good.(y)

But since cleaning the bake ignitor seems to be making it work good, that tells me that's the only part you will need.:)

Jake