• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Refrig/Freezer issues

Wallerman

Premium Member
Hello,
My apologies if I don't post this correctly as I'm not a professional refrigeration tech. I have a MayTag msd2957aew side by side Fridge/freezer that I bought new in 1999. Every year like clockwork I have had a tech come out when it quits cooling to replace what he called a defrost assembly/Thermostat control board. On his last invoice he had a part number 610003990... If I'm looking at the correct part seems kinda easy to replace. Symptoms are, ice maker quits, fridge stops cooling... In the back of the freezer remove the lower back panel and everything is iced up. Any ideas why this board keeps blowing every year around the same time? also is this a valid part number?
Any assistance would be appreciated.
...Thanks!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

The manufacturer has replaced part number 61003990 with this item, part number 61005988

Adaptive defrost board-control

Any ideas why this board keeps blowing every year around the same time?
Bad luck? Kids keep standing there with the doors open ( mine do! ). Too many brown pops. :D

jeff.

Wallerman

Premium Member
Thanks so much!

Thanks for the part number update.. Doesn't look too hard to replace, any tips or hints I should be aware of.. I build computers myself, so probably not much harder to replace this board is it? Also, should I maybe use a power conditioner rather than a surge suppresor? I'm thinking of buying a small UPS unit to keep the browns down..
Thoughts?
Thanks again!
...WallerMan

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't look too hard to replace
The part is easy to change, the hard part is getting to it and putting the covers back together.

Also, should I maybe use a power conditioner rather than a surge suppresor? I'm thinking of buying a small UPS unit to keep the browns down..
I have no experience with these. Have seen ( and thrown away ) a few "power saver" plugs that have messed up the refrigerators.

jeff.

Wallerman

Premium Member
Having trouble getting to the board. any tips?

Hey Guys, Part came in today and am having trouble getting to the old one any tips????

Wallerman

Premium Member
Fianlly got to it.

Thanks for the diagram. Right now just finished re-assembly. Wow only one extra screw left over ;-) Having hard time with getting part 23 to sit straight as I may have finagled some stuff around. Right now I'm defrosting the coils in the back of the freezer and fixing to fire this bad boy back up and see what happens.. Geesh, took me longer to get the old part out then to pop the new one in place. What kind of Sick Twisted engineering mind designs the POS Boxes? ;-)
Thanks for all of y'all's help! Could not have done this without ya'!!