• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag refrigerator and freezer both not cold enough- MTB2172HRQ

VLeighton

Model Number
MTB2172HRQ
Brand
Maytag
Both the freezer and refrigerator are set to 7 (max cold), and are cooling to between 9 and 15 deg (freezer) and 41-45 (refrigerator). I've done the following:
Clean coils and fan by the compressor
Checked the coils in the freezer......there was only minor frost on the lowermost portion of the coils
I do have a crack in the refrigerator door gasket, but I used a digital thermometer to confirm that there is no cold air leak through the gasket.
Both the compressor fan and the freezer fan are blowing lots of air
The compressor and fans run, no matter whether I have the freezer thermostat set at 1 or 7.......I do hear a click when I turn the dial from 1 to 2.
I'm at a loss as to which component or components I should replace. Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Checked the coils in the freezer......there was only minor frost on the lowermost portion of the coils
Bingo! That indicates a sealed system problem. Normal would be a thin layer of frost on all the coils from top to bottom.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

Jake