• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Refrigerator LRTD19A-AH59A Question

Colloquor

Premium Member
Model Number
LRTD19A-AH59A
Brand
Maytag
I have an old Maytag LRTD-19A-AH59A refrigerator that we purchased new in August 1990. It's been very reliable, and I believe this Maytag refrigerator was actually an Admiral design, as it was when Maytag acquired Admiral and Magic Chef for the refrigerator and range product lines. There's been no major failures in its 31 year life... so far. The only occasional replacements has been the defrost timer. The ice maker has never given any trouble. In fact, I just replaced the defrost timer again last week as the sealed relay was becoming erratic.

The OEM defrost timer is a Paragon by Robertshaw P/N S-68233-2 and provides a 8 hour cycle with 23 minute defrost. My question relates to the normal run-time or on-cycle. First of all, both the freezer and refrigerator sections remain at their set temps... freezer around -4 degrees F (except when defrosting of course) and the refrigerator around 37 degrees F. Except when the relay on the defrost time actuates to begin the 23 minute defrost cycle, the refrigerator runs constantly, and never turns off. Is this normal?

I would think that when the set temps are reached it would turn off, but perhaps not, thus the question. The defrost cycle appears to be working fine, as there's water in the catch pan each time, the evaporator motor and fan are working properly, as is the compressor and fan. The condenser coils near the compressor motor are always cleaned routinely. If this is not normal operation, I suppose it could be caused by a sealed-system refrigerant leak.

Any input would be appreciated, as I hope to wring out a few more years of operation as I'm almost 75 years old and really don't want to purchase a new one at my age!

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that is perfectly normal, especially during the hot summer months.:)

I worked on a lot of these refrigerators when I started at Montgomery Ward in May 1990. Wards used to sell the Maytag/Admiral line sold as Admiral/Magic Chef Signature Series.

Jake

Colloquor

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply Jake. Now I feel better! It's generally been an excellent refrigerator, as has been the Maytag (Magic Chef) LCRE775 range, and the Maytag LA712 washer/LDG713 dryer we also purchased at the same time in August 1990.. I completely rebuilt the LA712 washer back in 2015, as the transmission failed, so I took the opportunity to basically replace everything except the motor. Still looks new and works fine after 31 years. It does get out of balance fairly easily if you run a light load of heavy clothes with its spin rinse, but otherwise it's been a workhorse. The old and simple original Maytag design...

I would be hard pressed to make a decision on which top freezer refrigerator to purchase today, possibly a Whirlpool model?, as most seem inexpensively built and not too reliable in the long term. But then again, I don't have many years left! The technology is there of course, but reliability evidently not so much. A friend of mine bought a LG side-by-side a few years ago and the main CPU/control board failed within 2 years. It was going to be major $$$ to repair it.

Thanks again Jake.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The most reliable TOP FREEZER refrigerators is Whirlpool and Maytag.

Glad to hear your 1990 range and washer/dryer are still holding up good.:)

Jake