• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Refrigerator M1TXEMMWB03 Ice Hollow in Ice Maker

PotRoastMan

Premium Member
Model Number
M1TXEMMWB03
Brand
Maytag
I just hooked up a water line to a 10 year old basement fridge for the very first time, using 1/4 inch supply line tapped from a simple charcoal filter which also supplies the upstairs fridge. Upstairs fridge is fine. Was thinking we could increase our ice supply for the summer! Of course an unused machine would work fine, right? I am so far seeing mostly hollow cubes.

I disconnected and ran a bucketful of water through the hose, it seems powerful and high pressure. I just watched it eject 3 hollow cubes and fill and the water for maybe 5 seconds.

Not enough! Earlier today I turned the 'fill screw' on the right side of the ice maker assembly (under the cover), counterclockwise a half turn, trying to increase the water flow per cycle. No luck. Since tinkering so far didn't help, I thought I should ask the experts before messing with it again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Remove the electrical connector that connects to the water inlet valve in the back of the refrigerator and put your meter leads in each of the two electrical connectors, set the meter on AC volts, then--->Force cycle the ice maker by shorting T and H. Watch your meter to see if it indicates 120 volts for about 7 seconds near the end of the harvest cycle.

IM Harvest & Fill.jpg

PotRoastMan

Premium Member
That test showed around 115 v for 7-8 seconds. And it was around 16 v otherwise. I also notice ice chunks on the extractor fingers. Freezer is at 0 degrees F.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok good, that means the ice maker is working properly, but your not getting proper water flow to the ice maker from the water inlet valve.

If you're absolutely sure you have good water pressure to the water inlet valve and there is no partial blockage from the water inlet valve to the ice maker, then you will need to replace the water inlet valve to fix it.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model you can order:
WP2315576 Water Inlet Valve

Jake