• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Refrigerator MBB1957VEW2 frost buildup issues

BBT

Premium Member
Model Number
MB1957VEW2
Brand
Maytag
This is a bit of a long story but I'll try to keep it concise. My Maytag MB1957VEW2 fridge (bottom freezer) stopped cooling in 2019, freezer worked fine and there was lots of ice buildup in the back of the freezer. I thawed it out and it worked again, but would freeze up again in a month or two. I did some more testing and found it could manually defrost and the thermostat tested out ok. I checked the control panel and it had a burnt out node, and I replaced the control panel with a knock-off version. This solved the problem for about 18 months, then again in May 2021, same issue. I replaced the control panel again, it worked great for 5 months and... you guessed it, same problem. I just took the control panel out and I can't notice any burnt nodes or lines this time.

What I'm wondering is:
  • is it time to just get a new fridge
  • would buying an OEM control panel possibly fix this issue
  • is it something else?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
would buying an OEM control panel possibly fix this issue
I think we can both agree your aftermarket controls don't last very long lol. We see a lot of problems with appliance parts from Amazon and eBay. I believe this one has a year warranty.
whirlpool-board-jazz-wpw10503278-ap6022400_01_l.jpg

BBT

Premium Member
Thanks Rick. I'm going to try an OEM control panel and see how that goes.

BBT

Premium Member
It has a one-year warranty, so I'm going to send it back for a refund. Normally they only do exchanges (how does your fridge run while you're mailing the old one and waiting for the new?) but they said they'd make an exception