Maytag refrigerator MFC2061HEW making frequent unusual loud buzzing sound

guyfoxday

Premium Member
Model Number
MFC2061HEW
Brand
Maytag
MFC2061HEW Maytag French Door Bottom Freezer
It started making unusually loud buzzing sound that lasts about 8-10 seconds and is definitely coming from the very bottom of the fridge underneath the freezer (possibly at the back but havent moved fridge yet to check). I was thinking this is the compressor or start relay but unsure. I don't actually hear anything like a compressor kicking on or off when this happens, but the refrigerator and freezer both seem to be working fine so far
It will happen in sets, for example 3 or 4 times with a gap of about 5 minutes in between each time and lasting around 8-10 seconds each time. Then nothing for a few hours until it happens again.
Pretty sure it's not the ice maker since for years we have shut off the water to it and the ice handle is in the up/off position.
Any ideas would be helpful. I would like to figure out which spare parts i should get before things advance from "troublesome sounds" to "catastrophic failure".

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its likely the water inlet valve calling for water from the ice maker. Are you absolutely sure the ice maker arm is UP all the way? which would be OFF.:)

You can remove the ice maker from the freezer to verify that as well. With the ice maker removed from the freezer you should not hear that water inlet valve solenoid buzzing sound anymore.

Jake

guyfoxday

Premium Member
The ice maker arm is definitely all the way up - any more and it would snap off - besides this is a new noise from last couple of months and the ice maker has been off for many years now. So i'm thinking it has to be something else. buzz is coming from the base of the fridge in the back ( i just heard it again while in the kitchen and had a chance to really listen for it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Take the ice maker out, then we will see, Or pull your refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the back access panel and remove both electrical connectors to the water inlet valve and see if the buzzing sounds are gone.

Watch this video to disconnect both harness plugs at the 2:00 mark:

Jake