• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag Refrigerator MFI2266AES Freezer bottom not cold enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluefire_xl

Premium Member
Model Number
MFI2266AES
Brand
Maytag
Hi,
Just notice it the other day and the initial thing that we did is clean the bottom part where the coils are because it was full of dirt. Also cleaned the backside as much as we can and still the freezer part is not cooling enough and frozen items are still melting. I can feel the fan is working on the freezer section but it seems the air is not that cold. What other areas should I check?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Pull your refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower back access panel and get a flashlight and see if the condenser fan blade is running. The condenser fan motor mounts next to the compressor.

Also take some items out of the freezer and look/feel the back panel inside the freezer and see if you notice frost build-up on it.

Jake

bluefire_xl

Premium Member
Thanks for your response. I looked at the back of the fridge and can feel the fan is blowing. I touch the back panel in the freezer and don't feel any cold on it. should I remove the panel to have a much better look? though I have not done this before.

bluefire_xl

Premium Member
6CAE0E33-FC3F-439C-9FDD-56CD680126A5.jpeg
Tried to open the back panel on the freezer and eveything seems clear. No ice build up

bluefire_xl

Premium Member
This is how the coils look like under. Not sure how far does it go. Should i need to clean even those inner areas? Initially you could only see dirt on it and almost not see the coils. This was the first step i did
D10F74B9-0931-4A24-894A-1615F799D46A.jpeg

bluefire_xl

Premium Member
Found a video about checking the compressor relay. Not sure if its the same for all. I did hear an initial click probably after 5 minutes then another after 10 seconds. Could i actually tell if the compressor is working? Its a bit warm when i touch it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Yes, I'd first check the compressor start relay.

Make sure your refrigerator is unplugged from the wall before removing it, after you remove it shake it, if it rattles inside its bad.

If it doesn't rattle, then you use a multimeter to ohm test it for continuity, if your meter does not read continuity, meaning the digital numbers on your meter do not change when you ohm test it, then its bad.

See the photo below of it? You put your 2 meter probes in both parallel holes at the same time and see what your meter reads. Keep the refrigerator unplugged when ohm testing it.:)

Here's the compressor start relay device for your model you can order if needed:
Start Device WPW10197428

Here's the capacitor for your model too:
Compressor run capacitor

Jake

bluefire_xl

Premium Member
Got the parts for my fridge. It is indeed the compressor start relay. Appreciate all the help!. The only thing is the bracket seems to not fit the new part because it seems smaller. I did not manage to put it back. Would that be fine?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new compressor start relay fixed it.(y)

The only thing is the bracket seems to not fit the new part because it seems smaller. I did not manage to put it back. Would that be fine?
Yes, that's fine as long as the compressor start relay is tight mounted on the side of the compressor.

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.