• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Refrigerator MFI2568AES stopped cooling/freezing, unplugged, plugged back in working again. Is it fixed?

trishab

Model Number
MFI2568AES
Brand
Maytag
So one night last week (12/28/20), freezer just stopped freezing. Everything was thawing out. Temp alarm was beeping and flashing between -4 and 21-23. Moved everything to chest freezer and planned to called repair guy in the am. Woke up to fridge being warm(12/29/20). It was still fine previous night. Rush to move everything from kitchen fridge to basement fridge. Thankful we have a 2nd!!! Warranty company tech can't get here until 1/7/21 so I unplugged it.

Left it unplugged for a day and a half(ish) and decided to plug it back in so that maybe it didn't smell horrible when tech came. Plus everyone kept opening the fridge and freezer forgetting that all the food and drinks were now ever so conveniently located downstairs.

So now, fridge and freezer are working just fine. I haven't moved all food back up, but there are some popsicles in the freezer that are frozen and cold soda cans in the fridge. So my question is did unplugging it and plugging it back in somehow reset it? I've read that sometimes that can happen. I did vacuum the coils and move the fridge and clean under and behind it. It really wasn't that dusty/dirty. I was actually surprised by the lack of dirt underneath considering how my teenager sweeps(or doesn't). We have had a couple a power outages in our area in the last 2 weeks. Not sure if that matters. Just trying to put all the info I can out there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am unaware of any problems previous to 2017 as it was included with the house we bought. This is the first time we have had any issues with it. I tried to look up the age. Best guess, between 2005 and 2007

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It could be several things that caused it. When this happened, Did you notice frost build-up on the back panel inside the freezer? Was the fan in the freezer running?

Also pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower back access panel and see if the condenser fan motor is running, it mounts next to the compressor(big black ball shaped part).

Next time it happens see if you notice any of those issues. You have a main control board in the very back of the refrigerator, if that starts going bad it can make the compressor and/or fans stop running too and make it stop cooling in both freezer and refrigerator sections.

Jake