• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag Refrigerator MFI2569VEW - Loud noise following water filter replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanT

Premium Member
Model Number
MFI2569VEW
Brand
Maytag
I have a Maytag bottom freezer/top french door fridge model MFI2569VEW. I replaced my water filter yesterday with the identical model and brand filter (type 4, Everydrop) the same as I've done every 6 months in accordance with the instructions I found online. However, as I was finishing the clockwise rotation when installing the new filter, a motor kicked on for about 1 second causing a loud noise and vibration and then stopped. I thought it was no big deal. I closed up the filter panel, closed the fridge and started to dispense water from the door to flush the system, and the same noise/vibration from the filter area began after a few seconds. I stop dispensing and the sound stops. So, I tried dispensing water for 45-60 seconds thinking maybe there was air that needed to clear out but no luck; during this time, the water also began coming out slower as well. I uninstalled and reinstalled the new filter a couple more times with no luck. I then took out the new filter and re-installed the old one with the same results.
The filter head o-rings are all intact and appear fine. It doesn't look like I broke anything when installing the filter, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Any ideas?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Here's the part you need:
whirlpool-valve-dual-water-67006322-ap4081950_01_l.jpg

RyanT

Premium Member
Thanks so much for the reply.

One further question, when I go to that website, one of the testimonials that sounds exactly like mine recommends replacing the filter head housing instead:
WP12956202 Water Tank/head Assy.

I don't have the bypass plug, is there any other way of checking which has failed other than replacing them one at a time? Thanks

rickgburton

Staff member
a motor kicked on for about 1 second causing a loud noise and vibration and then stopped.
What you heard was the coil armature in the water valve vibrating inside the solenoid. The armature starts sticking and not opening all the way. You can access the water valve and feel it when it's calling for water. Or you can remove the water line going into the water filter and hold it over a container. See if it makes the noise with the filter and filter head bypassed.

RyanT

Premium Member
That's it, thanks much. Will follow up with results when I get and install the part. Appreciate it.

RyanT

Premium Member
Part arrived this afternoon. Removed and installed the new water inlet valve, which was very easy. Unfortunately, it's having the same issue. :mad: Assuming it is the filter head now? Thanks for any help.

rickgburton

Staff member
Assuming it is the filter head now?
Here's the thing, the filter head has no moving parts that can vibrate. If it's still making the noise you should be able to find it

RyanT

Premium Member
I understand, but not sure what to look for. There are the two electrical connections & the ground to connect, as well as the three water tubes, and all 3 are solid. When looking into this, I've read that the mechanics inside the filter head fail over time. If water stopped flowing or air got into the lines at the filter head, could it cause this inlet valve to make these noises? I can take a video file when I get home this evening if it would help. Thank you for following up with this!

RyanT

Premium Member
It was something in the filter head. I replaced the filter head assembly (including the reservoir and inlet hose) and it worked just fine. Removed the new inlet valve (to isolate that as not a partial cause of the fix) and then re-installed the old inlet valve and it still works. Hope this helps someone down the road! Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.