• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag Refrigerator MFI2569YEM0 ice is melting in icemaker then leaking out water dispenser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty101

Premium Member
Model Number
MFI2569YEM0
Brand
Maytag
I have a 8-10 year old Maytag refrigerator with icemaker in the refrigerator portion. Last week the refrigerator was kinda loud and then we would find water in drip tray under water dispenser. We then opened the icemaker to find the ice appeared to be melted and then refroze? We emptied the ice tray and placed it back in the icemaker to see what it would do - same thing, it made ice ok but then the ice melted inside the icemaker tray solid and then it leaked slowly out the water dispenser. I've read in some places that it could be a bad gasket on the door where it connects to the icemaker and it doesn't seal properly thus letting warm air in from the water dispenser which melts the ice. Temps in the refrigerator portion have not been a problem during this - so it seems isolated to the icemaker itself.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Here's the part you need:
whirlpool-small8cube-icemakerassy-wpw10300024-ap6019087_01_m.jpg

Spuds

Premium Member
I have the same model Maytag (MFI2569YEM2) with the same or similar issue. My issue has been addressed 3 times by our local appliance person and the water valve was replaced 3 times (a water fill line was also replaced once). I can hear the icemaker fill with water.. it makes ice.. but water gets into the ice collector tray then freezes around the spiral metal dispenser (either water leaks in or ice melts in it then refreezes?).

Today I also found a think sheet if ice under the collector tray. So, I just cleaned out the ice and collection tray and replaced it and turned the unit back on. I just heard water filling . My plan is to check the unit every 1-2 hours and see if I can detect water somewhere it doesnt belong.

Should I pay special attention to anything? So far the issue has been diagnosed as a water valve issue. But it would appear to be more than that. Does a 'bad' thermostat do this? You guys diagnosed my dishwasher problem dead on and gave me the solution -- im hoping for a repeat.

rickgburton

Staff member
Turn the water supply off for a few days and fill the ice maker manually a few times. That will tell you if it's the water valve.

Spuds

Premium Member
So, here's the deal-e-o. Turned off water supply to frig and filled manually 3 times. Good ice production and no leakage into the ice compartment . This is a pic of the top of frig and and where the water enters the icemaker . It is slightly damp. Also, this tube froze a couple times in the past (when the water valve was replaced). I'm game for replacing the water valve (a third time in 2 years) if you think that is the problem. Maybe we just got defective parts or maybe not installed correctly? Something to do to the intake line on top of frig? Flush or somehow test it? I know this time i'm doing the repair.

rickgburton

Staff member
I'm game for replacing the water valve (a third time in 2 years) if you think that is the problem.
I think that's the problem. If you have high water pressure, try closing the water valve a small amount. Also try disconnecting the supply line and fill a bucket a few times to flush out any mineral deposits that have built up in the line. We have also seen many problems with appliance parts coming from eBay and Amazon. If you see any water or ice forming in the fill tube, it means the valve is not closing all the way and letting small amounts of water leaking past the valve. I personally have seen this problem with water valves made in China. They wear out very quickly.
whirlpool-valve-dual-water-wpw10312696-ap6019288_01_m.jpg

Spuds

Premium Member
OK..... I just ordered the part. Ill do what you suggested and hope this is the solution.

Spuds

Premium Member
I ordered the part from you -- but please attach 'How To' instruction (video) link. Thx.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Spuds

Premium Member
Well...... I installed the OEM part (I had to get it from a different company since you guys were out of stock). It is an OEM, though. All went in without a hitch (the previous replacement was also OEM, just like this one) but Im having same issue, right away. When I turned on water and ice maker again I heard ice fall out, then tray filled with water shortly thereafter. About 2 hr later I checked the Ice container and there was ice around the metal, spiral dispensing device. Just like last time. Obviously disappointed, but hoped you had another idea. I am attaching a picture of a recessed area in top of unit at the back left corner. I can see that a plastic water line runs through this - entering from the back part of frig then entering frig again, I am guessing going to the icemaker unit. In the past and now again, there is moisture in this area. wasn't there when water was turned off. does this lie run from the valve, through back of frig, through this recessed area then re enter to supply ice maker? I am guessing there is a defect somewhere around this since I cant understand why water would collect otherwise. But since it does, i imagine it could be also leaking and dripping down into the ice maker unit? Please look at pic and advise. Thanks
Frig Intake area TOP.JPG

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, this is the part you will need to fix it:
Video Included in part link.

Rick and I thought it was a slow leaker into the ice maker, but now we see its leaking from the ice maker fill tube.:)

Jake

Spuds

Premium Member
Working on Thanksgiving? Dedicated! You need to eat a turkey sandwich and have more pumpkin pie.
I will order this and hopefully thats it -- I can only throw so much $ at this. The plastic cover for the upper connector to the water valve was missing when I changed that out earlier today.. If thats a needed/safety part Ill get that too (save shipping I assume if I get them together). Whats that part number?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When you run a forum you get no days off, The upside is no RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC to deal with out here in rural Western Arizona.:) Just lots of Cowboys and Cattle. LOL

Here's the cover for it you can order:

Jake

Spuds

Premium Member
That does not appear to be the part. The one you referenced sits on top of the frig to cover the water intake. The part I need is the rectangular, plastic 'box' that encloses the upper electrical connector on the water valve. I dont even see it on the exploded part diagram .
There was a massive amount of water that 'leaked' (?) into the ice container and also a large sheet under it - so as we determined the valve isnt the issue. Before I order even more parts I want to be sure the replacement water line should fix that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.