• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag Refrigerator MFI2569YEM0 ice is melting in icemaker then leaking out water dispenser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't see it either. I wouldn't worry about it.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There was a massive amount of water that 'leaked' (?) into the ice container and also a large sheet under it - so as we determined the valve isn't the issue. Before I order even more parts I want to be sure the replacement water line should fix that problem.
I understand, I was going by the water I saw in your photo of the fill tube, that water should NOT be there, if you want a 2nd opinion contact Whirlpool to come out and verify that ice maker fill tube will fix it for sure.:)

Jake

Spuds

Premium Member
I also understand there is only so much you can say by photos and my input. What is is the part number of the plastic cover for the upper electrical connector on the water valve? For one more test-- what if I pulled out the rubber input plug on the top of the frig and used a syringe to squirt water into the the ice maker and then view how the water enters the ice maker? Could I see if there was something wanky about the water entering? maybe spraying into the ice maker as well as into the ice tray? Also, maybe flushing that way could maybe force out any goobers blocking it? I've already had a refrigerator repair guy out twice and the problem still exists - so Im not doing that again. I hope to figure this out with my own testing and getting input from guys like you. I have eternal optimism.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What is is the part number of the plastic cover for the upper electrical connector on the water valve?
I answered that in post #21.:)

For one more test-- what if I pulled out the rubber input plug on the top of the frig and used a syringe to squirt water into the the ice maker and then view how the water enters the ice maker? Also, maybe flushing that way could maybe force out any goobers blocking it?
Yes, definity you can do that first, the video in the part link shows you how to remove it.

Could I see if there was something wanky about the water entering? maybe spraying into the ice maker as well as into the ice tray?
That's not likely. But you can try if you want. But I'd first remove the fill tube line and check to see if you have a clog or a crack in it making it leak at the top there and running down the conduit into the ice maker compartment and missing the ice maker completely thus freezing ice beside and below the ice maker.

Jake

Spuds

Premium Member
Got ya. I wasn't sure the answer in #21 was about the plastic cover. Now Im tracking you, high speed. Thanks for explaining... Ill get the replacement tube, what the heck. Then ill blast some water through the new tube and see if there is any leaking/spraying into the icemaker area. This could turn into a Three Stoogies episode (with me playing all three stoogies). Have a good rest of the weekend. You get a break from me until the end of next week (after I get the new part).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks! You too!

Yes, keep us posted.

Jake

Smitty101

Premium Member
Installed the part (https://click.linksynergy.com/deepl...8cube-icemakerassy-wpw10300024-ap6019087.html) 6/20 as recommended above in post - worked fine after that. Now it seems to be doing it again a year later? We just emptied entire refrigerator and freezer and thawed everything out. Icemaker was almost a solid block of ice. There was also sheets of ice in floor of freezer also. Once thawed out - we just turned off ice maker for now to get things cooled down again to put the food back in. The display panel on the front of the refrigerator shows 33 for refrigerator (almost immediately after turning back on - which was weird as the door was open and it was off for about an hour), thermometer on inside shows 50 degrees. The refrigerator temp alarm button is blinking and the freezer temp is blinking 0 degrees then 59 degrees - the freezer is definitely cooler than 59 degrees. Is something out of wack with the control panel from having it unplugged for that duration of time?

Smitty101

Premium Member
After nearly 2 hours of being plugged back in, the display finally stopped flashing. The refrigerator is showing 35 degrees with internal thermometer showing about 40 degrees - apparently I'm just not patient enough...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you have the same exact model number MFI2569YEM0 ? Please verify that first, the model number tag is located inside the refrigerator section on the upper walls or ceiling.

Icemaker was almost a solid block of ice. There was also sheets of ice in floor of freezer also
It sounds like the water inlet valve did not shut off properly and caused the solid block of ice and the sheets of ice.

MFI2569YEM0 uses this water inlet valve here, you can order:
WPW10312696 Valve-Inlt

The water inlet valve is the refrigerator section, per this video:

Jake

Smitty101

Premium Member
Yes that is the model number. We'll try replaced the water inlet valve as you suggested. Thank you also for the video on how to do it. We'll let you know how it goes.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Smitty, sounds good, yes keep us posted.

Jake

Smitty101

Premium Member
Ok, we installed the water inlet valve yesterday morning. It's been close to 24 hours and we only have 3-4 ice cubes? Does it take a while for air to get out of the lines?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, give it more time. Also get a freezer thermometer and take the temperature of the ice maker maker compartment, it needs to ALWAYS be under 10 degrees to make ice continually.

Jake

Smitty101

Premium Member
Will do. We put a freezer thermometer in the ice maker and will check that in a while. We do hear the refrigerator sounding like it wants to fill the ice maker periodically throughout the day. Will keep you updated. Thanks!!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
We do hear the refrigerator sounding like it wants to fill the ice maker
There's most likely air in the lines and it sometimes takes two or three harvest cycles before the ice maker gets water

Smitty101

Premium Member
Ok, we've put the thermometer in the icemaker for a few hours a couple different times and it comes out right at 10 degrees. Since we installed the new pump Sunday morning, we've gotten only about 6 ice cubes. Still hear sound periodically throughout the day like the ice maker is trying to fill with water.

rickgburton

Staff member
Check if there is ice inside the ice maker. Force cycle the ice maker. Here's how: Remove the cover over the ice maker power module and locate holes "T" and 'H". Use a piece of insulated wire bent in the shape of a "U" and short holes "T" and "H" together:
R-IM T H.jpg

Once the center white gear starts to turn remove the wire. You may need to hold the door switch in. The ice maker will continue through the harvest cycle. At the end of the harvest cycle is the fill cycle. The ice maker will supply the water valve with 120 VAC for approximately 7 seconds. Make sure there is no ice in the fill tube. Check if the ice maker is filled with water.

Smitty101

Premium Member
Ok, I have not tried to force the cycle yet as suggested because after 5 days of icemaker being on and not really generating ice, we have a bit of leaking water coming out where each front wheel of freezer. There is frozen puddle of ice in bottom of freezer again, and it seems as if there is frozen ice inside icemaker mechanism/controls at back of icemaker unit. Its like wherever this frozen water is in the refrigerator, its getting to freezer and then melting and leaking with defrost cycles? We shut off unit again. If there is frozen water there - do I still try to do the above force cycle?

rickgburton

Staff member
That might be a different problem. That sounds like a blocked drain line.

Is the ice maker making any ice? Is it going through only one or two harvest cycles a day? You need to force cycle the ice maker and check for leaking and check if the ice maker fills with water.

Status
Not open for further replies.