• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag Refrigerator Model MSD2756DEB is not cooling properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdude

Premium Member
Hi, Jake,

Thank you so much, that video is very very helpful. Now I need to do the testing when I get home this evening. I kind of lost my patience last night and broke the latches for the panel, haha, jeez, could have saved that if I asked you first. Thank you again,

Sam

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome Sam, let us know how it goes.

Jake

Bunky2100

Premium Member
Maytag French door Fridge problem

I seem to have the same issue as many - Freezer working like a champ, making ice... but Fridge not cold - or even cool.
I have defrosted by removing back panel of freezer and hair dryer, tested to make sure flap controlled by thermostat is opening and closing. checked fan in freezer (bottom) and found it running - but not seem to run at a high speed. Still NO cold air or any air for that matter coming out into fridge from freezer.
Any ideas.
Many thanks,

Bunky

MFD2560HES Maytag French doors with bottom mount freezer

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your air tunnel is on the far left side after you remove your back panel, make sure that return air tunnel isn't blocked with frost.

On this photo: See that metal little panel on the left, next to that hole in the back, it has 2 screws mounted into the back wall, Remove that piece, then you will see the return air tunnel, The middle tunnel is the supply tunnel.

_MG_0828.jpg

Jake

Bunky2100

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I have completely defrosted entire unit. Passages all clear. I think it is the fan motor in freezer unit that is (I am guessing here) to circulate the air in the freezer and up the chute to the fridge box. Am picking up new motor in the morning will. Will let you know if that is problem.

many thanks,

Bunky

kdude

Premium Member
Alright, Jake, tested the thermostat assembly, found 0ohm and 20ohm, ordering ADC card now. Thanks a lot!

Sam

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Bunky and Sam, sounds good.

Keep us posted.

Jake

Bunky2100

Premium Member
Changed out evap fan motor this morning. All good now. $41 in parts and an hour + in time. Excellent opportunity to get to know ones freezer and freezer burned food items...

The Maytag French door fridge is about 7 years old and services a family of 5. It has been bullet proof up to now. Are there any known defects or problems I should be looking out for and have spare part ready? I clean the coils about every 45 days or so when I do my routine on wine cooler and ice maker coils.

Many thanks for your help.

Bunky

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job Bunky.:)

Are there any known defects or problems I should be looking out for and have spare part ready?
Nope, cleaning the condenser coils every 45 days is a BIG PLUS, Good job, that really makes a difference to keep other parts from going out.:)

Jake

gktj

Premium Member
Now what?

I have defrosted the coils twice now and was going to order the defrost board. But tonight I came home and the freezer I guess now isnt cooling at all. The ice melted and I have a mess. There is no ice build up on the coils at all. Could the board be doing the opposite now? If I replace the board now will it be ok? Or is it something else now? any help would be appreciated. I have the Maytag 2756GE. Thanks.

kdude

Premium Member
Hi, Jake,

Unplugged it for a whole day (a lot of water came out beneath), just put in a new ADC board today, keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully it will solve the problem.

Sam

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have defrosted the coils twice now and was going to order the defrost board. But tonight I came home and the freezer I guess now isnt cooling at all. The ice melted and I have a mess. There is no ice build up on the coils at all. Could the board be doing the opposite now? If I replace the board now will it be ok? Or is it something else now? any help would be appreciated. I have the Maytag 2756GE. Thanks.

Yes, I've seen that happen before on a very few myself, order the ADC board.

Keep us posted.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, Jake,

Unplugged it for a whole day (a lot of water came out beneath), just put in a new ADC board today, keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully it will solve the problem.

Sam

Ok Sam, sounds good, come back and let us know how its doing.:)

Jake

gktj

Premium Member

Well, I read around some more and found out that it was the relay/overload switch that attaches to the compressor. took it off and shook it and it was in pieces internally. Got lucky and found out there was a recall on this very part. I called maytag and they replaced it. My fridge is cooling again, but i will still need to get the ADC board. Hopefully then it will work like its supposed to! I know now why the Maytag guy has nothing to do... Because of forums like this one, we learn how to fix them ourselves. Ha! Thanks to all that posters...

Garry

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Garry, good job finding it was your compressor start relay and the recall.:)

Keep us posted when you get the ADC board.

Jake

MissyAtulp

Premium Member
MSD2756GEW, Warranty on ACD, VERY frustrated.

Is there any kind of warranty on the ADC? I found an old post of mine here and in January 2009 I installed a new ADC board. Right now, the fridge isn't cooling ANYTHING and I'm freaking out because I just went grocery shopping.

Steps I have taken.
1) Woke up to find ice melting and ice cream SOFT.
2) took back off freezer. LOTS of frost and ice build up
3) Started the routine of blow drying.
4) In the midst of blow drying, the little hanger for the defroster thingy came unfrozen and came off. Great. It's this big black coil that starts at the top goes down the right side to the bottom, circles round and goes back up. Then there's a little metal hanger that attaches it to the silver coils.
5) Put the back on the freezer. Plugged it back in. Turned it on. Fan turned on. Went grocery shopping. Came home to find ice made, which means the freezer is cold enough. But the fridge is warm. I turned it off for a few seconds. Now, it is not making ANY noise. No ice being made. No blowers. ARGH!!!!!!!!!

Please please help me before I LOSE MY MIND and really lose my head and hair. I've already worked 5 hours on this project.
Missy

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Missy, sounds like the ADC board may have gone out again.

Has the refrigerator come back on yet?

Here's the ADC board for your model:
Manufacturer's Number: 61005988

Jake

Dave100

Premium Member
First post here! I have a Maytag MSD2756AEA side by side refrigerator. I've read all posts in this thread and it seems entirely likely that I need a new ADC module. The clues: Freezer works fairly well, refrigerator section too warm. I pulled the panel from the inside and exposed ice covered coils. I pulled the plug and let it defrost for about 36 or so hours. I then put it back together and it reaches about -8 degrees in the freezer and 37 degrees in the refrigerator. So far so good. Now my question. I do not have an OHM meter or the experience to use one, so is it possible to determine if the defrost cycle is working? In other words is it possible that the frost built up on the coils even though the defrost cycle occurred? If that is not possible obviously something else is wrong, probably the ADC module, maybe the defrost heater/thermostat assembly. Obviously, I'm trying to avoid buying and installing a part I might not need. I guess I could buy the ADC module and install it and then see if the defrost cycle works? How does one know the defrost cycle is working short of pulling the panel and looking for ice/frost? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
See Dave, thats the issue, to avoid buying parts you may not need you have to ohm test the defrost heater/defrost thermostat assembly.

If you don't have an ohm meter and don't know how to use one, then I'd suggest calling a tech. out or ordering both the ADC board and the defrost heater/defrost thermostat assembly.

Now a defrost thermostat is basically the same as ohm testing a thermal fuse, but you need to make sure the defrost thermostat is frosty when you ohm test it, if not you will get a high reading.

<IFRAME title="YouTube video player" height=390 src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3nicyh6EUHc?rel=0" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

<IFRAME title="YouTube video player" height=390 src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/311BiD76iYg?rel=0" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Here's the defrost thermostat heater/defrost thermostat assembly for your model you can order here:
Defrost Heater Assembly 61006199 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Put your ohm meter probes in the 2 white wire plastic connections, remember it has to be still frosty for a proper reading. Should read 0 ohms.

Then put your ohm meter probes in the black and middle white wire plastic connections, that will ohm your defrost heater, should read between 0-50 ohms.

Unplug your refrigerator first!

If the defrost thermostat ohms at 0-1 while its frosty, and the defrost heater is between 0-50 ohms then order the adaptive defrost control board.

Here's the adaptive defrost control board for your model you can order(Video Included):
Whirlpool 61005988 Defrost Control Board - AppliancePartsPros.com

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Dave100

Premium Member
Terrific, Wow! That really helps to demystify the project. The only info that was keeping me from trying the OHM reading was what settings to use and specifically where to make the probe contacts. I'll borrow an OHM tester and give it a try. I assume (after unplugging the refrigerator) that I can disconnect the wire connector on the defrost thermostat heater/defrost thermostat assembly, and leave it secured to the fridge to take the OHM readings. Will that work?

Thanks again Jake.

Status
Not open for further replies.