• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag Refrigerator Model MSD2756DEB is not cooling properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I assume (after unplugging the refrigerator) that I can disconnect the wire connector on the defrost thermostat heater/defrost thermostat assembly, and leave it secured to the fridge to take the OHM readings. Will that work?
Yes it will.:)

Jake

Dave100

Premium Member
Hi Jake! Thank you for the video links, they were very helpful. I tested the defrost thermostat heater/defrost thermostat assembly and both were 0 Ohms. So, as instructed I ordered the ADC module. It arrived today and I just finished installing it. It was easy but does take a little bit of patience.

My question is, how do I now verify that the defrost cycle is functioning properly (short of waiting and checking for frost build up on coils)? There must be some way to detect it in action???

Thanks for all the help. This site is cool :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Make you put the back panel back in place over your evaporator coils.

My question is, how do I now verify that the defrost cycle is functioning properly (short of waiting and checking for frost build up on coils)? There must be some way to detect it in action???
Don't worry about it, if you don't get the same problem as before, then its working.:)

Jake

MITCHELLGA

Premium Member
What Next?

I have a 6 year old Maytag MZD2665HES Wide By side that we noticed a few weeks ago was not keeping the refrigerator cool. We called the local repairman and before coming out he had us pull everything out of the freezer and then we noticed the bottom vents frozen over. He said we could try defrosting and then turning it back on but that it would probably freeze over again in 5-7 days and he was right. He suggested we replace the ADC board and we ordered it and replaced it this past Wed, the frig had sat for probably 3 days with the doors open and shut off defrosting on its own. It started working again right away and I have been checking the bottom back of the freezer section every day since then. Last night it was good, this morning I can see it is freezing over again. We are a little frustrated but trying to remain calm.

I started reading this forum/thread and I think we need to OHM test the defrost heater/assembly and defrost thermostat next, is that correct? We tried looking at a diagram of these parts for our frig but we were not 100% on both parts and where they are located. Can someone point me to a diagram and the parts. On the diagram I saw online it looked like it was part #3 and part #7. I am not sure how to post a pic of the diagram I saw so that probably isn't much help. The videos are very helpful so I am hoping we can do this ourselves and save some cash.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Kristi

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Kristi,

Yes, your defrost thermostat is #3 and defrost heater #7 here in your parts diagram: Evaporator Assy. / Rollers / Water Tank parts for Maytag MZD2665HES

You do all ohm testing with the refrigerator unplugged and the defrost thermostat disconnected from the wire connections, so the defrost thermostat is all alone when ohm testing it.

Its very important to ONLY do the ohm check while its frosty, to get a proper reading.

So while its frosty now, unplug the refrigerator and remove the wire connections from the defrost thermostat but leave the defrost thermostat in place on the evaporator coil and ohm it, if still reads infinity(open/bad) then you will need a new defrost thermostat.

Here's the defrost thermostat for your model you can order here:
Whirlpool 67004757 Thermostat, Defrost - AppliancePartsPros.com

Here's the video to test the defrost heater:

[video=youtube;311BiD76iYg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=311BiD76iYg[/video]

Here's the defrost heater for your model:
Defrost Heater Assembly 67004188 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake

MITCHELLGA

Premium Member
Ok, I removed the back over the coils and it was solid ice already. We tested the OHM on the thermostat and got nothing. I even tested the connection it was clipped too and that side gave a reading so I feel pretty comfortable the thermostat is the issue. However now that I am looking at it I am not very comfortable with how I will repair it. It looks like the wires go all the way up the back of the frig. Will I need to remove the ice maker motor and the entire back to wire this? It says this is a 2 wrench fix but I am getting concerned I am out of my league.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You will need to cut the splice the new defrost thermostat wiring in place using wire nuts, so if your not comfortable doing that call a tech. out that can do it for you.

Jake

MITCHELLGA

Premium Member
You will need to cut the splice the new defrost thermostat wiring in place using wire nuts, so if your not comfortable doing that call a tech. out that can do it for you.

Jake

Ok, wasn't sure that was acceptable for where it is. We can handle that. Thank you! Ordering the part now.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you just cut the 2 wires about 2-3 inches from the original defrost thermostat and strip the insulation back with a wire stripper tool about an inch back and use 2 wire nuts to tighten the wires together with the new defrost thermostat.

Jake

MITCHELLGA

Premium Member
Yes, you just cut the 2 wires about 2-3 inches from the original defrost thermostat and strip the insulation back with a wire stripper tool about an inch back and use 2 wire nuts to tighten the wires together with the new defrost thermostat.

Jake

The part came in late yesterday and we installed it just like you mentioned above, turned everything back on and it is running. We decided to leave the cover off the coils and not put anything back in it to until we see it is working, (defrosting) correctly. I woke up this morning and checked it and it is all covered in frost already. My heart sank when I saw it. Do we need to let it run for a few days to see if it is working? My other question/thought is shouldn't I hear the refrigerator turn off every now and then, it seems that it runs constantly.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, you CAN'T leave the cover off.:)

Put the cover back on, thats why it already frosted.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, no worries.:)

Yes, post back in a few days to let us know how its doing.:)

Jake

BiscuitTX

Premium Member
Maytag 2454GRW

Maytag MSD2454GRW (Fridge side not cooling - 50 degrees)- Replaced the Defrost Control Timer as my coils were covered with ice within a few days after defrosting manually. Have only had it running for about 15 hrs. and have t-stats in both compartments to monitor. My settings are on 6 for the fridge and 5 for the freezer. My refrig is currently at 42 and my freezer is at 8. My question is are these normal temps due to the amount of time elapsed since replacing the defrost timer? Air is blowing from the vent at the top of the refrig and motors are running. Please advise. Not sure how the temps should be compared to the slide bar settings at the top of the unit and not sure how much air I should be feeling from the top vent. Thanks for your help.

Last question: Where can i see how open the vent is at the top. I see the long horizontal styrofoam vent opening slot at the front and the hole in the back. Do i need to take off that cover in the freezer side or take off the top assembly like when I replaced the defrost timer? Have seen others post about their's not being open more than 3/8" and have no idea what that refers to.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the temps. are getting close to where they should be, when did you replace your defrost control board? It will take up to 24 hours for the temps to stabilize.

Did you follow this video when you replaced the defrost control board?

Jake

BiscuitTX

Premium Member
lol...damn right i did. Laptop on my washing machine with that guy telling me how to move step by step.

Also forgot to mention that I loaded it up with about a case of hot beer at the same time I turned it on. A man has to have his priorities.

I'll give it til tomorrow then. Hey thanks for your help. As stated before by others you have helped me tremendously and saved many $$$. Thanks a bunch.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also forgot to mention that I loaded it up with about a case of hot beer at the same time I turned it on. A man has to have his priorities.

Yes, especially in Houston this time of year where your temps are on the rise.:)

I know all about Houston weather, I was born there and lived in Pasadena, Texas.:)

Jake

BiscuitTX

Premium Member
Yes, especially in Houston this time of year where your temps are on the rise.:)

I know all about Houston weather, I was born there and lived in Pasadena, Texas.:)

Jake

It must be mentioned you know about beer too. :D

Native Houstonian here too....have a nice weekend.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks, you too.:)

Jake

BiscuitTX

Premium Member
Thanks, you too.:)

Jake

alright its been a week and the temps are starting to rise...has been between 38-40 (setting for both is 5) until yesterday when i saw it creep to 42 so i removed the back cover in the freezer and much to my dismay the coils were/ are covered in ice. Freezer is now below zero whereas last week it was at zero F. I'm assuming that ice on the coils is not normal.

would ohming the heater and thermostat be next? im assuming that the the refrig needs to be off and still have ice on the coils?

Any help on how to ohm would be appreicated. Have multimeter just not sure what/ where to take off heater, T-stat

any thoughts? thx for the help

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.