FIXED Maytag Refrigerator Model MSD2756DEB is not cooling properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepublic

Premium Member
Hi Rick - update on my query from a few weeks ago- the heater with the thermostate finally arrived yesterday. I defrosted the freezer and replaced the old heater. Then turned the timer screw clockwise as described to check whether the heater heats up - it doesn't. So as stated above, I looked at the timer before and that seemed to work OK (my post on previous page). So I am lost now - does the heater ONLY come on when the coil is frozen? Is that what the thermostat does - only switch the heater when its below certain temp? Do I need to check when its frozen rather than when its defrosted?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That's correct, the defrost thermostat has to be below 40*F to close. Be careful advancing the timer in and out of defrost. If you don't give the compressor enough time to equalize the pressure before it starts you can damage it.

Highwayman

Premium Member
I'm amazed this thread is still active and growing since I first posted to it in 2006. It has even earned top spot with a sticky!

Model # MSD2756AEB
Age; 12 years.

Here's my current issue with the fridge. Everything works fine and the freezer runs about -10 degrees, give or take a few. The refrigerator side runs at 34 degrees. The beer is cold. The problem is it's at the end of it's adjustment. The refrigerator control is at 1 and against the stop. The freezer control is passed 1 and against the off switch. There is no more adjustment left so if the temperature drops, I'm screwed.

I see there is a temperature control thermostat module and that would normally be my first guess. But there is something else I'd like to ask about.

In the early years I had a well used extended warranty. During one of my annual visits from a repairman, one guy noted that the temperature control levers were setting around 6, which was the original settings when it was new. He didn't like that and somewhere under the cover at the top of the refrigerator side he tweaked something. I don't know what it was but after the dust settled the control levers ended up around 2. That was OK I guess, but over the years I've had to adjust them a little now and then until it's to the point of no adjustment left.

If I knew what it was the guy tweaked, I'd try to un-tweak it before throwing money at the problem. If that adjustment is not on the thermostat module, replacing the module might not fix the problem. Any ideas what that adjustment might be? Otherwise, what do you recommend?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
There is an adjustment screw that the factory uses for calibration. It's not meant to be used by service techs to adjust temperatures as it can throw off the temperature swing considerably. There is a small hole in the face of the cold control with an arrow pointing towards colder. Don't turn it more than 1/8 turn counter clockwise and don't try it until it's the last resort because there is a good chance it won't work and will only make it worse.
Here is the control you need:
Whirlpool 61005651 Control Assy., Temperature - AppliancePartsPros.com

Status
Not open for further replies.