FIXED Maytag Refrigerator Model MSD2756DEB is not cooling properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Very good posts!

Your original defrost board won't have the plastic protective casing around it, but that is the part# for yours, if you order it, it will come with the protective plastic casing.

Jake

Robinh

Premium Member
Okay, gonna order that board!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, let us know how it goes.:)

Jake

Robinh

Premium Member
It's installed, went very smoothly, we'll see soon if it's working, as I noticed right away that the freezer coils were about half packed again.

Robinh

Premium Member
Meant to mention that during this my wife had called a service man for a quote. Minimum $450 to come to my house. They heard my address and must have automatically factored in an extra $200, then heard Jenn Air/Stainless and factored in another $180, all to cover the cost of the $52 board that I got from your link!!! lol...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job Robinh!:) You saved tons of money!:)

Jake

Robinh

Premium Member
Question for you -- while the freezer's in defrost cycle, does the fan shut off? Just curious as my freezer and fridge used to almost always be running. I just opened it up, maybe 2 hours after replacing the board, and it's all quiet inside. Not used to that...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, while its in defrost the fan will be off.

Jake

Robinh

Premium Member
It's working so well now I don't know what to do with myself. I bet my electric bill drops because it's noticeably cooler, had to turn the temp up a bit as the milk was getting icy - and yet I hear it kick on and run a LOT less!!!

LOVE THIS FORUM!!! SAVE ME MONEY, CAN GO BUY WIFE FLOWERS NOW!!!
:D

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yea, maybe a nice dinner out and a heart-shaped box of candy too!

Jake

Robinh

Premium Member
Jake said:
Yea, maybe a nice dinner out and a heart-shaped box of candy too!

Jake
Bought her a pair of diamond earrings - had money left over earmarked to get the refer fixed...earmarked... get it.... I gotta get a real job....

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LOL, yup, You can always keep trying the lottery as well!:)

Jake

GTH

Premium Member
Hi all. This site is great, thanks Jake and the other Mods.
I have a Maytag MSD2456DEW that completely died. I lost most of my food, and was at work when it happened.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, as noted by others it was my ADC.

I don’t know if Jake thinks it’s a bad idea, but I bypassed the ADC until the new part comes in.
This can only be done temporarily since the automatic defrost will no longer work, but at least it works for now.

There were a couple of things I noticed after reading through these posts.
This is my second Maytag, the first was a 1999 MSD2356AEW, and I’ve never had to set the freezer side to more then 1-½ to get 0-10°F or the fresh food side to higher then 3-½ to get 35-40°F.
The inner liner on the first one became wavy and the air passage to the crispers pulled away from the liner. This happened in the 13th month of ownership, and the Maytag rep tried to tell me the warranty ran out after the first year, but I was happy to point out to the rep that the interior liner (but not the door liner) is also covered from the 2-5 year part of the warranty.
They replaced it for free with the newer 2000 MSD2456DEW, but it took two tries because the delivery guys dented the first one. The delivery guys told me to grab any loose parts from my old fridge before they took it, so I took the unused water filter and an adjustable shelf, you know, the one that you crank up or down to adjust.

Anyway, people I talk to sound like they don’t really understand how the temperature controls work.
I’ve found friends that have had their freezer section turned all the way up, and then had to turn the cooler section all the way down to keep their veggies from freezing. That’s completely backwards! And besides they are going to cause their coils to ice up.
The “Freezer” control turns the compressor on and will make your freezer colder, but the thermostat is in the fresh food section, so it’s going to affect both sections. And the “Refrigerator” control actually changes the percent or ratio of cold air going to the fresh food section, so once again it’s going to affect both sections when you make any adjustments.
I use a refrigerator glass-bulb style thermometer in both sections, and it’s easy to adjust and maintain the temperature at the correct levels.

They don’t make refrigerators like they used to. The new ones may be more efficient, but with computer controls, they are more prone to failures. My first fridge was a Whirlpool handed down from my parents. It lasted more then 36 years before I gave it away, still running! The only parts failure was a heater coil, and the compressor overload protector. It had a metal liner, no flimsy plastic, or shelves breaking off.

I couldn’t do the defrost test (jump L1 to TEST) because I didn’t realize it until I removed the board that it’s coated in protective plastic. At first, I thought the whole refrigerator was dead because there was no voltage going to the board, but now I know it was because of the coating on the board. Did anyone else notice this?

Anyway, thanks for listening. I’ll be replacing my ADC when it arrives, and don’t expect any problems, but I’ve been hearing a slight squeal from the condenser fan, so I’ll be lubing or replacing it in the near future.

Greg

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good post Greg, Thanks for the added information about the temperature settings.:)

Jake

ChrisMSD

Premium Member
Frigerator won't shut off

MayTag MSD2756DE

My frig only shut's off if I move the refig section temp control to OFF. it turns back on after a few minutes of relocating the temp control to a setting higher than OFF. Where do I start?

Chris

Robinh

Premium Member
ChrisMSD said:
MayTag MSD2756DE

My frig only shut's off if I move the refig section temp control to OFF. it turns back on after a few minutes of relocating the temp control to a setting higher than OFF. Where do I start?

Chris
By "shut's off", do you mean you hear the compressor running, or the fan, or the fan and compressor? I'm no expert, but since I replaced the auto-defrost control is the first time I've ever noticed that my fridge doesn't run constantly. I'm wondering how much I'm going to save in electricity this month because of the fix. Jake - you da man > > could it be related??

ChrisMSD

Premium Member
MSD2756DEQ doesn't turn off

Robin,
I believe both, the fan and compressor, run continously. running overnite, the refrig temp is below 40F (around 35F) and freezer is near 20 degrees. Is there anything else I should check? Frig is about 5 years old.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your freezer should aways be between 0-10 degrees, do you notice a frost build up on the inside of the back freezer panel? You may have the same issue as Robin and the others with a bad defrost board.

Jake

Robinh

Premium Member
And it was quite apparent when I took the cover off. Had to take the food out of the lower half of the freezer, then the shelves, then two screws removed the rear panel. I've attached pics below so you can see what we mean. I don't have one that shows the entire freezer coils frozen up, but when I removed the panel, which was a bit twitchy as it was frozen to the coils, I could tell there was a problem as they were a sold block of ice.

ChrisMSD

Premium Member
Thanks for the details

Thanks for the details, I'll check it out tonite.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.