• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag Refrigerator Model MSD2756DEB is not cooling properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig J

Maytag MSD2756GEW

hello
I'm a new member of this forum but have been using it as an unregistered for a while.I am in tech school and am working on a Maytag MSD2756GEW. The refrigerant has been recovered,nitrogen pressure tested, unit vacuumed,and then charged with R420A. We need to run the units defrost cycle before we can send it out and were told we could find the door switch defrost overide codes for for it on the internet. Does anyone have this info or know where to get it ?

Thanks
Craig

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

thayes9572

Premium Member
Not cooling question

Good Evening and tnaks to all previous posts regarding the problems with cooling. I have defrosted the coils and had ordered the ADC Board. My questions is, will the refridge side cool down prior to replacing the ADC Board?

Thanks

Tom

Highwayman

Premium Member
Hi Tom,

My experience was that it would cool just fine until the coils freeze up again which was about two weeks for me. Be sure to check the air return behind the crisper drawers. The second time mine froze up that door froze shut and then it wouldn’t cool the refridge side even after the ADC was replaced.

See post #87 and #89 on page 9. Good luck!

thayes9572

Premium Member
Water and Ice Lights out now

Good morning...

Not sure if this is connected or not but... about the same time we were losing coolness of the fridge side, the lights on the outside of the freezer door for the ice machine went out. We have defrosted the coils, and the fridge is getting cooler, not quite back to where it was...

We did not unplug any wires and I unpluged the machine for a couple of minutes hoping the door lights would come back on, no luck so far.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tom

bennjamie

Premium Member
Admiral Designer Series Model HMG 621437

Hey everyone,

Total newbie here to home ownership and being your own handy man. I have the Admiral Designer Series side by side model HMG621437....

1. A Freezer barely keeping stuff frozen

2. A fridge barely keeping stuff cold

3. A puddle under freezer door

From what I gathered I need to replace the ADC . Would this solve all of the problems that I have?

As I have mentioned I am new to all of this and I do apologize. Could someone give me a real quick break down on how to complete this task. I work good with numbered lists and just need a starting point. I appreciate your help with this, I am trying to save some cash seeing I just had a new furnace installed and have the overhead door company coming tomorrow to fix the busted spring on our garage door and our christmas tree has sections that aren't lit and my wife and I just found out a month ago that we are expecting our first......yah, needless to say I'm stressing a bit, haha. But this is a great thread and any help is truly appreciated.

Thanks

Ben in Green Bay

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hey everyone,

Total newbie here to home ownership and being your own handy man. I have the Admiral Designer Series side by side model HMG621437....

1. A Freezer barely keeping stuff frozen

2. A fridge barely keeping stuff cold

3. A puddle under freezer door

From what I gathered I need to replace the ADC . Would this solve all of the problems that I have?

As I have mentioned I am new to all of this and I do apologize. Could someone give me a real quick break down on how to complete this task. I work good with numbered lists and just need a starting point. I appreciate your help with this, I am trying to save some cash seeing I just had a new furnace installed and have the overhead door company coming tomorrow to fix the busted spring on our garage door and our christmas tree has sections that aren't lit and my wife and I just found out a month ago that we are expecting our first......yah, needless to say I'm stressing a bit, haha. But this is a great thread and any help is truly appreciated.

Thanks

Ben in Green Bay

Hi Ben,

Your Admiral does not have the ADC board, yours has a Defrost timer 68233-3.

First check in your freezer section, do you see a frost build-up on the inside freezer back panel? If so turn your defrost timer clockwise till you hear a loud snap, your refrigerator will then turn off and then its in your defrost cycle.

#20 here is your defrost timer, its located in the front behind your bottom kickplate, under your refrigerator:
WA000916-00002.jpg

Jake

bennjamie

Premium Member
Jake,

You guessed it the back is all frosted up. I took off the kickplate and I think I found the defrost timer.

As you look at it from the left of the refrigerator you see a big black thing that says Japan on it.

As you look at it from the right of the refrigerator there is a hole in a metal plate where it looks like there should be a knob to twist like you said. However, there is nothing on our refrigerator.

If I am correct in my diagnosis, which I highly doubt, is there a way to manually turn that white circle?

Thanks again for all your help, just got off the phone with the garage door guy, $120 to replace the torsion spring. YIKES!

Ben in Green Bay

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, just turn that white circle in photo#1 clockwise with a flathead screwdriver. Then it will be in defrost, let it go through the defrost cycle, it lasts about 20-30 minutes, let it turn on again on its own.

While in defrost, check to see if you can feel heat from that bottom lower inside rear freezer panel, if no heat, then its likely your problem lies in your Defrost heater 61001846 #37 here:
WA000916-00002.jpg

or Defrost thermostat 52085-29 #30 on that same parts diagram.

You would need to ohm out that heater first for continuity with a Multimeter.

Jake

bennjamie

Premium Member
I turned it clockwise and there was a snap and everything shut off. I will let you know what happens in 30 minutes. Thanks a million Jake!

Ben in Green Bay

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, great, now feel for heat at that bottom freezer panel, where the bottom panel vents are.

Jake

bennjamie

Premium Member
There is some heat, but not a lot. The frost in the back of the freezer is thawing, that is the desired effect right?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, if you felt heat them your defrost heater is coming on, did your timer come out of defrost by itself?

Jake

Repair Dave

Premium Member
Jenn Air JSD2789GES with similar defrost problem

Greetings Bloggers!

It's been very interesting to read this thread, this is about the exact problem we are having with our Jenn Air JSD2789GES, which is apparently similar:
-cold freezer, warm fridge;
-compressor running and running;
-occasional creaky/clonky noise coming from back upper right of fridge (looking in);
-iced-up evaporator section and ducts to fridge (see pic).

So far solution has been to hairdryer-defrost and clear ice from ducts, and fridge works ok for a few weeks until it ices up again.

Next time we take it apart we would like to fix it!

Based on the symptoms and the thread, it seems we have a bad ADC, which seems to be the thing making the funny noise (though I'm not sure it has one of these components, or a timer).

Please let me know if this sounds like the right analysis and if the correct solution would be:
-order the repair manual (I've called around here in northern NJ and apparently there is no where that you can walk in and buy such a manual) and the ADC (possibly in stock locally);
-replace ADC;
-defrost completely again;
-turn on and enjoy.

Thank You All Very Much!
Dave.

bennjamie

Premium Member
I manually defrosted overnight. Cleaner her up nice and good. And now everything is back in. Lets see how she does. I have my fingers crossed. The fridge kicked back on itself, but the frost was still on the back, so I decided to defrost manually. knock on wood, haha.

Ben in Green Bay

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Greetings Bloggers!

It's been very interesting to read this thread, this is about the exact problem we are having with our Jenn Air JSD2789GES, which is apparently similar:
-cold freezer, warm fridge;
-compressor running and running;
-occasional creaky/clonky noise coming from back upper right of fridge (looking in);
-iced-up evaporator section and ducts to fridge (see pic).

So far solution has been to hairdryer-defrost and clear ice from ducts, and fridge works ok for a few weeks until it ices up again.

Next time we take it apart we would like to fix it!

Based on the symptoms and the thread, it seems we have a bad ADC, which seems to be the thing making the funny noise (though I'm not sure it has one of these components, or a timer).

Please let me know if this sounds like the right analysis and if the correct solution would be:
-order the repair manual (I've called around here in northern NJ and apparently there is no where that you can walk in and buy such a manual) and the ADC (possibly in stock locally);
-replace ADC;
-defrost completely again;
-turn on and enjoy.

Thank You All Very Much!
Dave.

Yes, Dave, thats the correct order.:)

Your model does have the ADC.

You can order it online here as well: Adaptive defrost control board 61005988

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I manually defrosted overnight. Cleaner her up nice and good. And now everything is back in. Lets see how she does. I have my fingers crossed. The fridge kicked back on itself, but the frost was still on the back, so I decided to defrost manually. knock on wood, haha.

Ben in Green Bay

Ok Ben, did most of the frost melt when it was in defrost?

The problems sounds like either your defrost timer is sticking, or your defrost thermostat is working intermittently if the defrost heater stayed on the whole time while it was in defrost.

Jake

bennjamie

Premium Member
Most of the frost came out, but I unplugged and left it overnight to get everything fresh. I think it will be ok now. That is except.......for the water that sept through my towels and caused my hardwood to bow up. Now I have to replace that board. AHHHH!!!! It never ends!!!! But it gives me stuff to do.

Thanks again,

Ben in Green Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.