• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag Refrigerator Model MSD2756DEB is not cooling properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Most of the frost came out, but I unplugged and left it overnight to get everything fresh. I think it will be ok now. That is except.......for the water that sept through my towels and caused my hardwood to bow up. Now I have to replace that board. AHHHH!!!! It never ends!!!! But it gives me stuff to do.

Thanks again,

Ben in Green Bay

Ok Ben, but if it frosts up again, one of those 3 parts will have to be changed.:)

Jake

Repair Dave

Premium Member
ADC Replaced

Jake and others;

Today it became time to defrost again and install the replacement ADC.

The Service manual was sort of helpful in the process. We double-teamed the effort, one defrosting and one pulling down the overhead controls.

The old defrost control board had a folded up wiring schematic in the compartment with it and had no obvious bad components. Installed the new ADC and put everything back together and now the machine is working again.

Time will tell if this work will solve the defrosting issue.

Took about 2 hours.

dave.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Dave, glad you got your new ADC installed, it should work perfect from here on out.:)

Jake

Repair Dave

Premium Member
One additional question on broken (?) spring

So far so good, a day later the fridge is cooling nicely and the compressor is not running as much.

During disassembly on the last defrostings, I noticed what appears to be a broken spring (coiled metal piece ending abruptly, not in a loop for fastening or anything, and apparently connected to a wire that runs into the fridge compartment) in the triangular housing in the top back of the freezer, the duct that feeds the fridge side trough two tubes.

Looking at the service manual diagram, it appears it may have something to do with temperature sensing rather than acting as a spring.

It occupies a lower portion of the housing, which itself is triangular with a hole in the bottom. There is nothing in there that appears it could connect to a spring.

Is it actually related to temperature sensing or could it be a spring of some sort?

The diagram shows a second spring related to opening and closing a door which I haven't found yet.

Happy New Year!

dave.

Mr. Fixit

I have seen this condition particularly in Maytag. Be sure you actually need to replace the board !

If frozen food is placed too close to the vents at the mid to upper rear of the freezer, on these side-by-side models, you can have trouble that mimics a bad ADC.

The evap coil will frost up solid, which in turn will block air from passing up the freezer and through the damper control and into the fridge.
The freezer temp will be okay, crispers with individual temp controls will be okay, but the upper portion of the fridge will be warm, with no airflow from the vents.

So you think you need to replace the ADC? You start by emptying the freezer (thereby removing the offending vent obstruction) defrost your coil, reload the freezer (chances are it's more organized and you or your customer haven't jammed the vent,) you replace the ADC board, and presto - everythings just fine... seems like a new ADC did the trick! ...

Well not really. Until someone shoves a couple bags of frozen veggies into the freezer, and in a couple weeks you could be back for service.

For what it's worth, defrost the coils and have your customer be aware of the vents in the freezer, before you replace that ADC board.

Repair Dave

Premium Member
Mr. Fixit;

Thanks for the post!

Blocked vents were not the issue. We load the fridge carefully, so on the first instance that was not the cause, and as you note, after that, I refilled the freezer even more orderly than usual and still we had another need to defrost.

Upon the third emptying and defrost, and replacement of the ADC, we've had to date no issues with fridge or freezer temps, though we haven't opened the freezer back panels to look.

Still, we're tuned in to the symptoms and haven't yet noticed any.

dave.

bigdave1

Premium Member
Is this an ADC problem?

First, thanks to all for this invaluable blog. I was ready to trash my 7 year old Maytag (that I paid 1300 + for) and get a newer model. Then I found this site, it unreal how many people have the same issue with the coils freezing up.

I have a Maytag MSD2957DEW. Milk wasn't lasting more then 3 days. Checked the temp in the FF section and is was about 50 degrees F. The freezer was 10 below zero. Diddnt seem right to me, so we transferred the food to our other fridge. After reading the info. on this site, I pulled the back cover out of the freezer and found a frosty mess. I let it defrost over night. I checked the heating element this morning and read around 23K. Does this mean the heater is OK? Before I shutdown the unit, I noticed the compressor was running all the time, there was no airflow into the top of the FF section and every so often I will hear a relay make in the back of the fridge, the lights inside the unit would dim, and the relay would reset. The unit never quit running. Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, your heater is fine.

Are you sure your compressor was running, or just the condenser fan that sits next to your compressor?

If your freezer evaporator coils were frosted over, then your compressor should be fine, you would just need to replace your ADC Board.

Jake

bigdave1

Premium Member
Thanks for the info...

It may have just been the condenser fan. What was the Fridge trying to do when I heard the relay cycling? I could hear it click and the intetior lights would dim...mabey for 2-4 seconds and the relay would reset.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That would be your compressor trying to cycle on, but if your freezer coils are frosted over, then your compressor should be ok, unless thats starting to go bad as well, but then your freezer coils would be dry.

Jake

bigdave1

Premium Member
That would be your compressor trying to cycle on, but if your freezer coils are frosted over, then your compressor should be ok, unless thats starting to go bad as well, but then your freezer coils would be dry.

Jake
I replaced the ADC board and plugged the fridge back in. This Morning the temp in the frezzer was -7 degrees and the FF section was sitting at 41 degrees. Does this sound correct? When will I know the new board is doing its job?

Last edited:

bigdave1

Premium Member
Wrong temp

I replaced the ADC board and plugged the fridge back in. This Morning the temp in the frezzer was -7 degrees and the FF section was sitting at 41 degrees. Does this sound correct? When will I know the new board is doing its job?

Correction to the frezzer temp...9-7 degrees above zero.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Those are good temperature readings, give it a week or 2, then if its still working ok, your got it made.:)

Jake

Dallas Clement

Premium Member
Help with defrosting the freezer coils

I'm afraid I've never done this before. Can someone please tell me where to locate the freezer coils and how to defrost them?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Whats the Model# of your refrigerator? Its located either on the ceiling of your inside refrigerator section or on the inside right wall.

The freezer coils are inside your freezer, behind your back access panel. You would need to remove the food from your freezer first, then you will see some screws on that back panel you need to remove.

Before defrosting them, you will need an ohm meter to check continuity on your defrost thermostat.

More info here:
http://www.applianceaid.com/common_frig_parts.html
http://www.applianceaid.com/frig_notcold.html#ff

Jake

Dallas Clement

Premium Member
Defrosting the freezer coils

My model # is Maytag MSV2758DRQ. The refridgerator is not staying cool at all. Getting puddles of water at the bottom too. I picked up a new adaptive defrost controller. Now I just need to put it in. What are the recommended steps? Sounds like I need to check for continuity with the thermostat first, defrost, and then replace the defrost controller. Is that right?

Thanks much!

Highwayman

Premium Member
....Getting puddles of water at the bottom too.....

If you’re getting water at the bottom of the freezer side, when you pull the panel to defrost the coils check for a plugged drain in the pan underneath the coils. Sometimes a piece of the pucky that they put around the thermocouple falls down and plugs the hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.