• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Refrigerator - Model PTB2154GRW - not cooling

kpd

Premium Member
Model Number
PTB2154GRW
Brand
Maytag
Hello all - I came upon this forum and it looks like a great way to exchange information on those fix-it jobs we all come upon.

Ok - here is my problem. I have a Maytag PTB2154GRW Refrigetator and the lower "fresh food" section is no longer getting cool. The upper freezer section is nice and cold. I notice that the back panel it full of frost, so it looks like there is something wrong with the auto defrost system. I found some info on in this forum about this issue, but it was not specific to my model. Looks like there could be a couple of things wrong and I need to do a bit of checking.

I am looking for information on where some of the components that could cause this failure are in my specific model AND (hopefully) instructions on how to get to them.

Any additional info on troubleshooting and/or repair specific to this model would be very appreciated.

thanks,

Kerry D.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Frost free problem is very possible.

**I am looking for information on where some of the components that could cause this failure are in my specific model AND (hopefully) instructions on how to get to them.**

Defrost heater and defrost thermostat switch are always in the freezer behind the back wall. Back wall will come out towards you once the mounting screws are removed.

Defrost timer on yours is beside the cold control in the plastic housing on the ceiling of the FF section. That whole plastic housing will come down once it's screws are removed.

Defrost timer control

Defrost thermostat switch

Defrost heater

**I found some info on in this forum about this issue, but it was not specific to my model.**

None will be model specific....too many!

Some helps...

http://www.applianceaid.com/defrost_cycle.html

http://www.applianceaid.com/frig_notcold.html#ff

jeff.

kpd

Premium Member
Wow - - great information...... thanks so much.

I did take a look for screws that hold the center cover in place.... I did not see any screws..... I thought that I looked pretty carefully, but perhaps I missed them.

I am pretty technicalbutonce I could not find the attachingscrews, I backed off - - I did not want to force anything, so that is why I started browsing the net this morning looking for info the model that I own.

An exploded diagram would be very helpful in this case. Or, if you of some other member knows how the cover is held on I would appreciate it if you could pass the info along.

ALSO - - once I have located the components, do you recommend that I follow the general troubleshooting steps provided on this forum, or are there model specific steps that I should be taking.

thanks

Kerry

jeff1

Staff member
**I did take a look for screws that hold the center cover in place.... I did not see any screws**

They are reset....stick your head right underneath and look up ;)

**An exploded diagram would be very helpful in this case**

Won't show the screws in place....
A40-10.gif

A43-595.gif

**once I have located the components, do you recommend that I follow the general troubleshooting steps provided **

Yes.

jeff.

kpd

Premium Member
Thanks ...... oh boy !!!

I took the cover off the back of the freezer compartment and it looked like the South Pole !!!

Nothing but hard ice - - wonder how long it took to get that way.

I went ahead and used a hair dryer to slowly melt the ice (we expecting to find a Wolly Mammoth frozen in there).

I had to get the unit back up and cooling quickly, so after thawing out the system I put everything back together (pretty easy stuff). Everything is nice and cold now - - but I know that I'm not out of the woods yet.

I am going to take a look at the system this weekend to see if I can figure out what is actully broken.

Couple of things though....

In the freezer compartment, I found the defrost thermo switch, but there is another item that is attached to my system that is not shown in the diagram. I is "piped" off of the upper right side of the coil assembly - - covered in a grey sticky fabric - - looks like a mini canister shape - - a thin copper wire comes out of the top of it that disappears into the back of the compartment. What is this gizmo?

Also - - what is part # 3 in your diagram - - it is located in the fresh food compartment - - is this another item that may have gone south?

Thanks for all your help!

Kerry

jeff1

Staff member
G'day,

**but there is another item that is attached to my sustem that is not shown in the diagram. I is "piped" off of the upper right side of thecoil assembly - - covered in a grey sticky fabric - - looks like a mini canister shape**

Accumulator....stores liquid refrigerant....the mastic material on it helps to "hid" some of the boiling noises of the refrigerant. This is part of the refrigeration system.

**Also - - what is part # 3 in your diagram - - it is located in the fresh food compartment - - is this another item that may have gone south?**

Cold control/temp control is #3 in the control picture....as long as the refrigerator is running the cold control should be fine.

** Everything is nice and cold now - - but I know that I'm not out of the woods yet**

Correct, the frost build up is a result and not a cause.

jeff.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
kpd wrote:
I am going to take a look at the system this weekend to see if I can figure out what is actually broken.
Hopefully it won't be totally frosted up by that time again. Some frosting may be beneficial anyway as it may allow the defrost termination thermostat to actually be tested as described at this link:

LINK > How does a frost free refrigerator's defrost system work?

Typically mechanical defrost timers go into defrost every 6-8 hours to prevent such build ups.

JFYI

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~