• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Refrigerator MSD2572VEW00 warmer on bottom

Eric R.

Premium Member
Model Number
MSD2572VEW00
Brand
Maytag
My Maytag side by side is a consistent temp of 43 degrees on the bottom shelves and 36 on the top shelf. I thought cold air sinks so it seems odd to me. The thermometers used are digital in a cup of water and a standard fridge thermometer. Freezer works great and there is no frost or ice anywhere. I also replaced the air diffuser assembly.
I know there will be temp variances but only reaching 43 on the highest cold settings makes me concerned.
Thanks for help!

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I thought cold air sinks so it seems odd to me.
Check the return air duct near the bottom. If it becomes blocked with ice or frost you basically end up with a cold front (top) moving in. The fan forces the warmer air down just like regular weather does.

Eric R.

Premium Member
Hi Rick, Thanks for the response. I looked at the duct on the bottom left and its not blocked. I thought I felt faint amount of air drawn in. Everything else seems to be working fine and coils have been cleaned.

Eric R.

Premium Member
Nothing out of the ordinary there. The fridge had a 36 hour period of power off, and there wasn't any melted ice. There are 2 40w bulbs at the bottom, cover missing and they were very hot to the touch. Perhaps that radiant heat was causing the issue. I unscrewed them and will see what happens.

Eric R.

Premium Member
My tired brain just realized lights go off when door is closed. I'm an idiot lol. Still, its amazing how quickly they heat up.

Eric R.

Premium Member
One other piece of info when the freezer door is opened the air flow from the top diffuser increases dramatically.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That keeps pointing to the return air duct. I'll see if I can find the tech sheet.