• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Refrigerator MTB2193AR leaking water-sort of resolved

Blue girl

Premium Member
Model Number
MTB2193AR
Brand
Maytag
Hi all,
I have an older Maytag fridge that was leaking water from beneath the drawers. I found the blockage. The reservoir at the back of the temperature control assembly was gummed up. I cleaned it out and reinstalled. I was cleaning the drain pan underneath the fridge and found the part in the picture below. It seems to be the exact same size as the drain on the temperature control assembly. I have reassembled the fridge without the part and so far so good. My question is, how necessary is this part as it seems to be no where to be found (not even on parts diagrams) and the one I have is disintegrated.
Thanks in advance for your time.

Fridge part.jpg

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I don't recognise it as a refrigerator part. If it works OK without it, leave it out.

Blue girl

Premium Member
I have read something about a duckbill valve that had to be recalled. It seemed like that is what this would be to me. The outside of the port had black residue on it so I assumed that's where it originally was. It's supposed to be a back-flow preventer, in that it keeps the warmer air from going into the freezer compartment. Will run with it.

rickgburton

Staff member
Your machine doesn't use the duckbill. It looks just like a duck's bill. The fix for the duckbill is to just remove it and throw it away. There's not enough warm air entering through the drain tube to cause any issues. the duckbill looks like this:
Snapshot_2.jpg

Blue girl

Premium Member
Update: Lately the freezer has started forming ice on the ceiling outer edge and the top on for door and this isn't even our humid season.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, Your pics are too close. looks like the door is sitting low and there's an air leak at the top. Make sure the doors are adjusted properly. The top of the door should line up with the top of the fridge. Check both doors. The top hinge has some adjustment. Use a shim on the middle hinge pin if needed. The door hinge parts are no longer available so you'll need to check the home centers for a washer that will fit over the post.

Door hinge.jpg