• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Refrigerator PBF1951KEW no cooling

stephen3333333

Premium Member
Model Number
PBF1951KEW
Brand
Maytag
I have no cooling at all in the fridge or freezer. Don't hear the compressor trying to start, no clicking at all. I bought a start relay and capacitor and installed it but still didn't work. The condenser and evaporator fans are both working. I'm thinking the compressor is bad, any ideas? If the fans are running it's not in defrost mode, right? (it's my brothers fridge)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Unplug your refrigerator first, then remove the compressor start relay , then remove those wires from the compressor start relay and put your meter probes in each wire connector that goes to the compressor start relay, then plug your refrigerator in and see if the volt meter reads 120 volts constant, leave the meter probes in those 2 wires for about 30-60 seconds.

(click to enlarge) I circled it in RED where you put your meter probes into.
Compressor Testing 2.jpg

Here's the Compressor start relay device assembly for your model(It's the white part, not the black part):
W10613606 Compressor Start Device

That black part is the run capacitor, not the start capacitor, The only purpose of the run capacitor is to improve compressor operating efficiency, it has nothing to do with keeping the compressor running itself.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

stephen3333333

Premium Member
I had no voltage from relay, BUT today the fridge was dead quiet. no fans running or compressor vibrating but the lights were on. The fridge was unplugged when I got to his house. I did check the compressor windings c+r=9.2 s+r=14.8 c+s=10.2

A couple of days ago when I looked at the fridge the fans were running and the compressor was vibrating but cool to the touch, today nothing, dead quiet. I kept the fridge plugged in and told my brother to listen for the fans in the next hour or two.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it might be in a defrost cycle, your model uses a mechanical defrost timer, give it about 30 to 40 minutes and the fans should come on again.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
In the refrigerator section behind the control knob is a small hole to access the defrost timer. Use a flat blade screwdriver in the hole and slowly turn the screwdriver clockwise (the timer dial will only turn in one direction) one click at a time and see if the machine turns on.

WP67001036 Timer, Defrost

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If still dead, then the problem is most likely the cold control. It's common for the contacts to stick. Sometimes just hitting the knob with your hand is enough to jar the contacts.

Check it for continuity with your meter.
WP67003000 Control Fz Temp

Jake

stephen3333333

Premium Member
I took the defrost timer out and have it with me. I'm not good with multimeter, but learning. I have continuity on pins 1&2 in defrost mode, then I turn defrost timer till it clicks then I have continuity on pins 1&4. Nothing on pin3 though. Did I check it correctly?

I haven't checked the control fz temp looks like it might be very difficult to get apart, but I will. Quick question if the control fz temp was bad would it cause the freezer and fridge not to cool? Compressor was not working and fridge was not cooling at all.

I originally thought it was the starter relay, which I replaced, but didn't fix the problem

Thanks again for the help

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I took the defrost timer out and have it with me. I'm not good with multimeter, but learning. I have continuity on pins 1&2 in defrost mode, then I turn defrost timer till it clicks then I have continuity on pins 1&4. Nothing on pin3 though. Did I check it correctly?
I have no clue we don't ohm test that, its mechanical, so it can only be ON for cooling or OFF for defrost. That's why you turn the defrost timer to see if it kicks back ON for cooling.

I haven't checked the control fz temp looks like it might be very difficult to get apart, but I will. Quick question if the control fz temp was bad would it cause the freezer and fridge not to cool? Compressor was not working and fridge was not cooling at all.
Just give it a good hard tap with your hand and see if it comes ON for cooling, you can also ohm test it for continuity when it should be ON. Just unplug the refrigerator first before you ohm test it.

Jake

stephen3333333

Premium Member
Jake I'm not sure where it's located on my PBF1951KEW. I thought it was in the fridge part but saw videos saying it's in the freezer? help....lol

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here it is:

Jake

stephen3333333

Premium Member
I turned it but it didn't come on. I then removed the defrost timer and put a jumper on pin 1&4 , but that didn't work. So I took the jumper off and hooked up the defrost timer again.

stephen3333333

Premium Member
I hit it with my hand and it didn't come on. I then removed it and tested it, and it had continuity. (multimeter probe on each terminal.) I then put a jumper in the two terminal connector wires and the fans came on but not the compressor. (I thought it was fixed when the fans came on...lol) So my brother thinks the compressor is shot and is throwing it away and buying another one. Thank you for all your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, when you jump the temperature control thermostat and the fans come on, that means it DIDN'T have continuity.:)

At any rate, yes time to go refrigerator shopping.

Jake