Maytag - RTD17 Freezer Works and Fridge Doesn't

hernestk

Premium Member
Model Number
RTD17A
Brand
Maytag
We have a Maytag RTD17A Refrigerator and the freezer is working fine but the fridge is not working well. (the fridge is at the coldest setting and it is only at 10 deg C) The fridge has been cleaned and there is nothing blocking the vent to the refrigerator. Furthermore, there is condensation on the inside top of the fridge compartment.

Could this be a plugged drain line?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This is a very involved process to do. You will need to take off both the doors, take off the middle hinge & metal frame, then that bottom plastic panel will slide out, then your will see the Styrofoam piece on the evaporator, that pulls off, then you will see the complete evaporator, now you can twist the holding brackets on each side of the evaporator #25 here on the top left side image:
http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/X2900363-00001.png

Then carefully left the evaporator up, then you will just see the metal drain trough with the hole in the middle. You can also left that metal drain trough pan out completely and get all the ice melted and clear that hole.

If your glass heater that mounts in the middle of your evaporator #27, is broken, you will need to replace it, you can order all the parts I have linked to here in this post.

Now, I used to repair alot of these, and I would see that Styrofoam that the metal drain trough sits on #1 here:
http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/X2900363-00004.png
can be completely water logged and soft to the touch, if thats the case, you would need to replace that main Styrofoam block assembly.

Jake

hernestk

Premium Member
Jake,

First of all thanks very much for your reply and advice. It has helped me significantly get started. I have exposed what you refer to as "Styrofoam Piece On The Evaporator" The end of this is shown in P1. I am having extreme difficulties pulling this out to expose the evaporator.

I assume I pull this straight out as in the direction of the arrows in P1. Furthermore, see picture P3 (undercuts also create a problem to pull the foam straight out) Thirdly, P4 and P5 show the polyurethane foam with double sided tape on the left and right side of this rigid styrofoam piece. This is also holding the styrofoam in place. This begs the question, if I am truly suppose to pull this styrofoam piece out to expose the evaporator, can it be done without destroying the styrofoam.

Last question, after I expose the evaporator, where will I find the drain line as I suspect it is plugged.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
From your last post, yes that plastic panel that your arrows point to has to come out first. Its tricky to get out, you have to use a putty knife on both plastic ends to un-tuck it from the outer metal cabinet. They should not break, I've removed all this way.

Jake