• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag SDE3606AYW Noisy and Cuts Off

rlhead35

Premium Member
Model Number
SDE3606AYW
Brand
Maytag
I have a Maytag dryer model SDE3606AYW that is making a noise when turned on. I have replaced the rear bulkhead rollers, replaced the idler shaft and pulley, the drum glides and felt pads and installed a new belt. The blower wheel was cracked so I replaced it. And the motor spins freely.

After all that the noise is still present and now it will only run for about 10 seconds then shuts off and wont start again for a few minutes. And this is in the air dry mode only, no heat. I can turn the dial on the timer and it wont start then after a few minutes it will again start and then stop again, and still with this weird noise.

So I disconnected the power connector to the motor and made up a straight wire 110 cable and wired it directly to the motor on pins 4 & 5. And when i plugged in that cable the motor runs great, spins the drum , pulleys, rollers and all perfectly with no noise at all.

Yet of course with that scenario the timer is not in play nor the heat as the 220v is unplugged. So, at this point I’m completely baffled. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Anybody done any electrical work in the house/fuse box?
Kinda sounds like ( no pun intended ) you may be putting 220 volts to a 110 volts motor and it is shutting off on it's built in safety device.

jeff.

rlhead35

Premium Member
No, no work in the electrical panel. I've actually tested the breaker and got a full 220 at the outlet.

Could my timer be the issue?

rlhead35

Premium Member
I took the drum out and started it and it's definitely the motor making the awful noise ... and I'm sure shutting it down as well. But what's got me is I pulled the motor out, put it on a bench and connected 110 straight to pins 4 & 5 and it runs as smooth as a sewing machine. Not seen into that yet. Thanks for the help though.

rlhead35

Premium Member
Ok ... look's like it's on me in the end. I found the wiring diagram taped inside under the hood and decided to look closer at it. The one variable that I introduced in this process was a new door switch. Yes ... I had the darn thing connected wrong! One of the leads is common, one is hot from the switch and the other feeds the lamp. Evidently it was feeding power or ground back to the relay on the motor which in case no one's tried it, will produce an awful noise then cause it to cut off. Thirty lashes with a wet noodle for me! Thanks for the help ...