Maytag top load intermittent no spin

donPop

Premium Member
I have a maytag PAV2300AWW top load washer with an intermittent no spin problem. If I open the and close the door several times I can get it to spin through the cycle, otherwise the clothes come out soaked. Help! :3:

aperezd

Might be the switch in the back of the lid

If the machine does not run at all unless you open and close the door several times, you might have a faulty switch (the one that is supposed to close when you close the lid). In the back of the lid there is a plastic pin which cuts electricity to the machine if the lid is not closed (rather allows electricity to flow when the lid is closed). I had that problem, in my case it wasn't a faulty switch, but the little plastic pin that is supposed to close the switch when you close the lid was not going deep enough. I put a piece of cardboard in the back of the pin to push it out a little more and now it closes the circuit everytime I close the lid...
You can test this by inserting some pointy object (plastic knife for example) in the place where the pin from the lid is supposed to go, while keeping the lid open. If the machine starts working, there is your problem. If it does not, your problem is somewhere else. This is a lot easier than opening up the machine and test the switch for continuity while the lid is closed which is what the repair guys would do and charge you an arm and a leg of course...
I hope this helps.

donPop

Premium Member
I have a maytag PAV2300AWW top load washer with an intermittent no spin problem. If I open the and close the door several times I can get it to spin through the cycle, otherwise the clothes come out soaked. Help! :3:
I verified the switch is working properly.I can manually move the tub so the brake is released, But if I click the switch to engage the motor a few times then it starts the spin cycle, and will complete till finished.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It definitely does sound like a bad lid switch, try to bypass the lid switch to see if it still does it, then we will know for sure.:)

Here is the parts diagram for your model:
PAV2300AWW
Lid switch is on diagram#6 part location#9

Jake

donPop

Premium Member
Its not the switch. It engages every time. The problem is the spin cycle. It starts very slowly, but if I click the lid switch on & off a few times, it seems to start spinning quicker and slowly gets up to the correct rinse speed.
What do you think?
Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like a bad motor or your thrust bearing is going out.

Jake

donPop

Premium Member
Intermittent no spin

Hi Jake,
Its not the thrust bearing or it would make a loud noise.
But I fixed it. It was the slide mech. under the motor, limiting the correct tension on the belt.
From the factory they put a film of lithium grease under this mech. and it got hard, limiting the sliding effect necessary to maintain the proper tension on the belt.
once I re-greased the assembley, now its working perfectly.
So add this to lyour troubleshooting techniqes.
Thanks again, you helped me think it through!

Don the phone man.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, glad thats all it was.:)

Jake