• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag washer/dryer combo washer drum won’t spin

Bobby bones

Premium Member
Model Number
?
Brand
Maytag
I have a Maytag washer that is very hard to spin by hand. Sorry I can’t find the model number anywhere. The belts are fine and are tightened accordingly. The agitator works fine but the drum won’t spin. The motor is running and working the pump just fine. It feels like the brake is preventing the drum from turning. Any ideas on hot to release the brake or get the drum to turn? Everything else seems to be fine except the drum is hard to turn.

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Unplug the machine and take the belts off . Remove the dust cover in the center of the drive pulley. (Do not clean it out). Remove the screw and washer and pull the drive lug off the splines. Turn the drive pulley by hand. It should ride up the shaft and press against the brake package to release it. The tub and trans should turn together.

Bobby bones

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. So I tried that and it seemed to make it slightly easier to turn but still resisted. If you give the trans a little shove it will get going and then stop and the belt squeals. Is there anything else I can try? And any guess what model this is?

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Fill the rubber dust cap with automotive transmission fluid (2 capfuls, about 2 oz) then pour the fluid over the lip of the brake package. Use the pulley to release the brake several times. Then turn the drive pulley until you start to feel the resistance of the brake package, and install the drive lug with about 3/8" space between the drive lug and the pulley lug.
L-maytag pulley and lug.jpg
L-Maytag Drive Lug.jpg

Reinstall the screw, washer, and dust cover. Install the belts and try a spin cycle.