• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag washer leak. Model MAV5000AWQ

frankjc

Premium Member
Model Number
MAV5000AWQ
Brand
Maytag
Hello, I have a Maytag washer, Model MAV5000AWQ, leaking at the tub seal. What is involved in replacing that seal? Also, can anyone recommend a source for a new seal? It's leaking right above the transmission assembly and centrifugal force spreads it around.
Thank you!

Attachments

• washerr.jpg
    washerr.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help!

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its suggested you install the bearing while you have it apart.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Frank, sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

G

Guest1

I'd strongly recommend getting a tube of tub seal grease: WPY056016

The seal & bearing kit that came with my transmission had some applied to the seal surfaces, but more was a good idea to ensure positive seal. Especially the lower "triple lip" seal which appears to be giving you problems.

The instruction sheet in the kit referenced this grease and specified application surfaces on both the tub seal and the lower seal, but none was included in the kit other than what was applied to the seals at the factory. It's really sticky, nasty stuff and perfect for this application.

edit: I'm also interested in Jake's thoughts on teflon sealant on the transmission threads where the upper tub seal & nut threads on. I didn't add any, as it was my first big washer project...but the factory transmission had white residue on the threads when I removed it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
edit: I'm also interested in Jake's thoughts on teflon sealant on the transmission threads where the upper tub seal & nut threads on. I didn't add any, as it was my first big washer project...but the factory transmission had white residue on the threads when I removed it.
I never used teflon sealant on the transmission threads and I never had any problems at all.:)

Jake

G

Guest1

Really glad to hear it. The white residue on the factory transmission suggested there had been Teflon sealant, but it wasn't listed in the seal kit instructions so I stuck strictly to them and put the sealant tube away. The old Atlantis MAVT754EWW has been back in service for 6 weeks now with no leaks...couldn't resist pulling the front cover and checking just to be sure. It sure was fun disassembling it for the transmission replacement and very satisfying having it running quietly as new.

frankjc

Premium Member
Got.my parts, this was in the package. Not sure what to make of it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200902_162235224.jpg
    IMG_20200902_162235224.jpg
    706.5 KB · Views: 28

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You don't need to worry about that.

The manufacturer has replaced part number 21001868 with part number W10219156.

And you already ordered and received part number W10219156.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome!

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

frankjc

Premium Member
Well, I just finished. Took about 2 hours, including scrubbing the crud out of the tubs.
Unfortunately I can't try it out yet because the cold water supply hose has become one with the faucet. I soaked it with PB blaster while I was working on the washer, also heated it with a small torch. Also the other end of the hose has a bubble, so I guess I am lucky the washer leaked, because the hose was about to burst. I actually keep a set of hoses just in case. So now I have to replace this ugliness. Appears to leak anyways. For now I am going fishing.

Attachments

• IMG_20200905_130515060.jpg
    IMG_20200905_130515060.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 22

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good, let us know how it goes after you replace your cold water faucet and fill hose.:)

Happy Fishing!

Jake

frankjc

Premium Member
So far seems to be working well. Now I have this leak. I put 3 wraps of teflon tape, it is very tight now, I am afraid to go any tighter. Should I have used pipe sealer? More tape?

Attachments

• IMG_20200907_113339135.jpg
    IMG_20200907_113339135.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 26

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I always use this PIPE THREAD STICK:

slictite-stik_41600.jpg

All hardware stores should have it.

Jake

frankjc

Premium Member
Actually, it seems all good now, took it apart, put a little more telon tape on, no more leak. I didn't think it would bother me, but now the hot and cold are different. I know it doesn't make any difference, but I'm thinking of replacing the hot one too.
Thank you again for your help.