• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag Washer MAV4755AWW not spinning properly

dudi

Premium Member
Model Number
MAV4755AWW
Brand
Maytag
Hello everyone! first time here, so excuse me if I do something wrong...

I have a Maytag washer that came with my apartment that has some miles on it, not sure how many.

About six months ago I had to replace the drain pump, and just recently stopped spinning and draining the clothes properly.

Ran the machine with the lid open and it agitates fine.

I went ahead and replaced the Thruster bearing kit. The noise is gone, and it spins.

BUT... Once a full cycle is completed the inner tub is empty (of water) but clothes remain really wet.

Only one part of the installation didn't go as per instructions, and maybe it is the cause of my situation.

The manual states that after installing the bearing kit, the brake disengagement should be checked.

When performing the check it pointer barely made it to the min pulley hub reference (see picture) and I was supposed to adjust it.

The procedure listed on the instructions didn't help me to adjust it as the shaft is too short ( or something is blocking my part of going further) to allow the cam to rotate midway between the pulley hub references.

I'm afraid that is causing the inner tub to spin slower than it should and thus the clothes remain damp.

I have attached the instruction manual, in case it helps

Appreciate any help and/or input

Attachments

dudi

Premium Member
Part 2 of my diagnostics ordeal.

I have continued to try to diagnose the problem, and this is what I have done and found so far.

The issue with the thruster kit was resolved (at least temporarily) by removing the washer. Read some old posts about the same part used in a different machine and two solutions where mentioned. 1) pull the shaft until it makes room for the washer - the shaft never budged and 2) remove the washer

The drum still spins too slow and sometimes does not spin at all.

One curious thing happened and maybe someone with experience might find this fact helpful to diagnose the washing machine.

While testing the machine after removing the washer I ran a spin cycle and was able to see that the drum wasn't spinning. I tried to jump-start it by helping it to move and nothing happened, then out of frustration, I pushed on top of the agitator, and then the drum began to spin. It spins slowly and it has almost no torque, you can make it stop with very little force.

I hope this info helps someone to help me!

Thanks in advance
Dudi

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Dudi,

Here's the thrust bearing kit and video that shows the way to replace it, also the instructions that come with it will show you the exact order they go too.

12002213 Thrust Bearing Kit

You have to use the parts in that thrust bearing kit, I know it seems like you can't get that spacer in, but its very hard to do, you have to use a flathead screwdriver to pull the transmission shaft down enough to get that spacer on, use alot of force, or get someone to assist you.

That spacer needs to be in there: you have to use a flathead screwdriver to pull the transmission shaft down enough to get that spacer on, use alot of force, or get someone to assist you.

I remember when I worked at Montgomery Ward Service Dept. in Tucson in the 1990's, I walked into our shop and the shop tech. said: Sit on the floor and push against the agitator with your foot! while our shop tech. installs the C-clip. It worked like a CHARM!

Jake

dudi

Premium Member
Thanks for your advice, I will try it out and will let you know how it went!