• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Washer MAV6300AWW diagnosing not spinning? Confused.

JMK

Premium Member
Model Number
MAV6300AWW
Brand
Maytag
I purchased used for $25 and have had it for years. A few years ago I replaced the pump and belt. Now it started making a horrible knocking noise when agitating. And now that I think about it, it probably hasn't been spinning very well for quite sometime. Seems like there is always a little water in the bottom out of view. There was belt residue on the motor pulley, motor spring clip looked okay, motor moves, springs on tub look okay. Changed the belt and ran a cycle and thought everything was okay, but now I see it is agitating when it should be spinning, even with the lid closed. The horrible sound it gone. Any ideas? I'm just a regular person, so anything too complex and I'll just have to buy a new washer.

I think I do tend to be somewhat abusive with my washers. I have a lot of pets, king bedding, and live in the desert and try to save on water.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
now I see it is agitating when it should be spinning, even with the lid closed.
That indicates the transmission has gone bad on it.

Here's the transmission for your model:
35-6615 Ht Trans S

Yes, it would better to save the repair money for a new washer, this is a major repair and the transmission would cost more than the machine is worth.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help!

Jake

JMK

Premium Member
LOL! Still haven't bought a new washer. I needed something agitated, so I used it for that and it spun! It will start spinning then makes a sound like it's clunking and slipping. It has a new belt, old was worn and belt dust was on the motor. So I've been running the wash cycle twice.

Then the timer started humming and not always working, but I still used it like on a different cycle or moving the dial some. Washed a couple loads today and now it only works on some of the SPIN cycles??? Anywhere else I put the dial it just hums and now won't even fill with water.

I know I need to buy a new washer, but couldn't help but think how darn confounding these things are.

Now I just NEED to know what it is! The motor?, the timer? :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: o_O😂

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LOL, well you only bought the washer used for $25 and putting more money into it would be very unwise my friend, no matter what other part it needs.:)

I used to run service calls for Montgomery Ward in Tucson in the 1990's when these machines were new, and they sent me to Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek and it was a joy to run that area, and the used appliance stores are many there.

JMK

Premium Member
I'm old enough to remember Montgomery Ward. Buying new isn't a problem. I just don't like the new ones and haven't gotten around to really shopping for one. Thank you. Seems like nothing is worth calling a repairman for any more. The one I used to use retired a long time ago.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that is true.

The BASIC new washers are much better than you think.:)

The ones with the BELLS and WHISTLES are more common to break down much more.

JMK

Premium Member
"the BASIC new washers are much better than you think.:)" No they aren't. :oops: Just bought a 4.5 cu. ft. GE and am returning it less than 24 hours. Washed and dried this king size sheet by itself 3X, last time at medium fill water level. I removed the lid lock and watched it. Sound is laughable. Costly to use! Here's how it came out after wash #3. I'm 61 and looking at Make your own. I will not buy one of these new washers!

Attachments

• IMG_20221116_200416922.jpg
    IMG_20221116_200416922.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 24

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yea, GE is the wrong brand to get, that's the problem, look at the GE washer FORUM and all the issues.

Speed Queen is the best, then Maytag.

Reactions: JMK
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.