• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Washer MAV9504EWW - Spin cycle starts (water sloshes out sides), Drain pump wont engage till open and close lid

jedethun

Model Number
MAV9504EWW
Brand
Maytag
My Maytag MAV9504EWW top load washer is giving me a fit. Before I begin it would be helpful to tell you that the drain pump is new, lid switch is new, no clogged/loose hoses. Washer works great till it gets to the spin cycle.

If left alone it will begin to spin (full of water) but the drain pump doesn't engage, and water begins spilling over the sides and onto the floor.

If I open the lid and close the lid at this point, the drain pump engages, it spins dry and continues to refill, etc - and all is golden till the next spin/drain cycle. Again, all the hoses are secure and unclogged, the drain pump and lid switch are new.

Any clues as to why the drain pump engaging would be intermittent would be helpful.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, Check the pivot spring and motor pivot plate.

The pivot spring puts tension on the motor mount clutch, so when the motor reverses for the drain/spin cycle, it turns the transmission pulley fast enough for proper draining/spinning.

I have seen that motor pivot spring plate get dirty and dry and cause that pivot plate not to make a smooth pivot transaction when the motor reverses, when it goes into the drain/spin cycle.

Lubricate that motor pivot plate when a compound like Sil-glyde lubricant, you can order or get at any appliance parts store in your area.

The motor itself moves back and forth on that pivot plate.

The lubrication goes on the pivot plate where the motor slide foot moves.

There is a white plastic slide foot mounted on the motor, that pivots with the direction the motor turns, if that slide foot pad is dry or dirty, it won't pivot correctly with a load in it, causing a slow/no drain/spin issue.

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
#1 is the pivot spring, #10 and #14 are the slide foot.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

ChevyGuy

Premium Member
Just to add, Sil-Glyde is also available at most NAPA auto parts stores. Comes in a toothpaste tube and is excellent for motor pivot slide lubrication (along with vehicle brake slider pins!) Good luck with your troubleshoot, just do exactly what Jake says and you'll get it fixed.