• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Washer MHW4200BW0 F9 E1 (long drain)

SlowSL

Premium Member
Model Number
MHW4200BW0
Brand
Maytag
I see that this error has been discussed and in some cases resolved a few times already, but no luck so far for me. I'm hoping to get some direction on fixing my washer before I throw it out the window.
We've had this washer around 6 years, and it started acting up with the F9 E1 code about two years ago, and every once in a while get a SUD error. When the error first started happening, cleaning the trap (mildly clogged) and discharge pipe had somewhat resolved the issue. I'd say for the good part of a year, the error only happened a handful of times. Over the last year or so, the errors became more frequent and now it's happening almost every wash cycle. Here is what I had done so far....

Removed the entire discharge tube from pump outlet to standpipe and thoroughly cleaned it out, nothing to create any type of blockage was found.

Removed the drain pump, disassembled as much as possible and made sure the impeller was good and still connected to the shaft. I've also monitored the drain and it is discharging water at a very high rate, I don't see any weak discharge at all.

Removed the large boot from the bottom of the drum to the pump, and reached/looked up into the drum to ensure it was clean and clear.

Trap was thoroughly cleaned, even though there was hardly anything in it.

Tried using very little soap, still get error, also tried no soap, and still get the error.

I've checked continuity with the pressure switch, which tested fine.

If I remember correctly, I also went into the service mode, cleared stored errors, and did a self diagnostic test, which came back okay.

I'm about to tear the thing completely apart and see if there is anything causing resistance in the drum, as well as check the drain motor resistance. I'll also double check the water switch, and make sure the tube to the switch is clear. The small amount of info I gathered on the sensing system seems to suggest the motor amperage/load is monitored before/during/after water to estimate moisture level. My thought is if there is something making the drum harder to spin, this might throw the reading off that the control sees, making it think there is too much water in the drum after draining?

Anything else I can do to try and target something that may be at fault, or something that I might have missed?

Added complete model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your missing the last digit in your model number, read it from the tag on the machine, its inside the door.

Here's the results I get:
MHW4200BW0
MHW4200BW1
MHW4200BW2

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks! No, the last digit is the version number. I'm attaching the tech. data sheet below.

Do a RINSE/SPIN cycle without clothes in it and see if it does the same error code.

F9E1--->LONG DRAIN
If the drain time exceeds 8 minutes without reaching reset level in pressure sensor, the valves are turned off and the drain pump will stop running. NOTE: Suds can cause delays in draining. Washer drains for 4 minutes, pauses 5 minutes, then tries again for 4 additional minutes of draining. F9E1 will display if washer does not drain. (Normal drain takes less than 2 minutes).

Possible Causes
• Verify that the drain hose is not blocked or kinked.
• Make sure drain hose is not sealed into drain pipe.
• Make sure the drain hose height does not exceed 96" (2.4 m).
• Check/clean drain pump filter of foreign objects.
• Check connections from tub to air trap, air trap to pressure hose, and pressure hose to pressure sensor.
Is pressure hose pinched, kinked, plugged, or leaking air?
--->See TEST #8 (Drain Pump) on page 18.

Jake

Attachments

• W10441081-revc.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 83

SlowSL

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. We have tried a rinse/spin quite a few times. It's has done it on the rinse/spin. It seems to be completely random. Sometimes its very early in the wash cycle, and other times it's minutes before the end of they cycle, but can be anywhere in-between. 90% of the time, the drum seems to have no water in it, as if the water was drained as it should. Every once in a while, the clothes are sopping wet and standing water in the drum, as if it never tried to drain the water.

When you hit the power button, it immediately drains all of the water within a minute or two before the door is unlocked, no problem, every time it's every thrown the code. I think I need to take a real good look at the pressure switch/hose first. First I'll check for an obstructed hose, then maybe I'll hook up multitester leads to monitor continuity across the pressure switch and run a cycle.

I'll be able to see if the switch is triggering during the drain, and time when all of the water is pumped out. I did blow into the sensor and could hear the diaphragm clicking on/off, however I can't remember if I used a multitester to make sure continuity was triggering as it should. I'll let you know what I find.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok yes, let us know what you find.

Jake

SlowSL

Premium Member
Finally had time to start messing with it. I found the tech manual under the washer top cover, seems to be different than the one posted here. Anyway, here is what I checked.

Pressure switch...
Continuity test from the control to the sensor was good.
+5V to the sensor was good.
I pulled the hose/air trap off and blew through it and made sure there was no obstructions.
The switch was a little trickier than a simple on/off type diaphragm switch. It is a 3 wire, positive, ground, and analog signal, which the pressure is calculated by some sort of electrical board/sensor, so I have yet to figure out a way to probe the signal wire and see any changes, didn't really have time to think about it though.
I did, however think I caught the error in the act. While running a quick cycle I walked up to find the washer just sitting there, the sensor light was not on, and I noticed an extremely faint hum sound, which may or may not be normal. The drain pump then came on for a split second, and the humming was persisted for a few more seconds, then the f9E1 error happened.
I continued on with troubleshooting and I found the drain pump wires (two black wires, 110V), coming out of the central control unit and tapped into them with some longer wires. I then attached my multitester probes to those wires, started a new wash cycle and recorded the washer, washer display, audio (so I can hear if the pump is working), and multitester display with my actioncam. The error occurred, and what I found, was that the CCU was commanding 110v to the pump periodically throughout the cycle, but the pump was usually delayed in starting. This explains the faint hum I could hear. Sometimes it kicks right on, sometimes it's delayed. When the pump is delayed beyond the 5 min. cycle twice in a row, the washer senses water still in the drum via the pressure switch (just guessing based on how the system is supposed to work), and triggers the error.
I've ordered a new pump, hopefully it's not the control board, but it's a consistent 110v that it's putting out, so I assume it must be the pump. The pump resistance was 15.2ohms, tech manual says around 16ohms, so it seems to test good as far as the coils, but something must be messed up internally in the pump. Does this look like I'm on the correct path?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I agree that the drain pump is the problem.

Here's the drain pump for your model which includes the filter clean out:
Drain Pump WPW10391443

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I found the tech manual under the washer top cover, seems to be different than the one posted here.
Read me the part number on that tech. data sheet and I will see if its in my collection. It will start with a W

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.