• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Washer MVW7232HW0 stuck on Add Garment

MMJ124

Premium Member
Model Number
MVW7232HW0
Brand
Maytag
My Maytag MVW7232HW0 is stuck on Add Garment - there are clothes in the washer, when I try to start a cycle, I get an 'Add Garment' message. I can then open and close the door, the washer indicates that I should press start again to start the cycle, but when I do press start again - Add Garment returns.
This washer is just over a year old - we did buy the extended warranty, but they say they can't be here to even diagnose the problem for almost 3 weeks. I'm hoping we can somehow manage to get it fixed ourselves.
We did unplug it and plug it back in, no luck. Right now I just unplugged it again (per some other info I found) and will leave it unplugged for 30 minutes to see if that helps, if it does work, I'll comment here but I don't have great expectations.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Update: plugged back in after 40 minutes, same problem.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

MMJ124

Premium Member
Thank you for this - I did the factory reset, problem still persists. Is there anything else in the document that I should try?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
See what error code you get in Fault History.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
F7E4--->Basket Re-engagement Failure

Fault is stored when the main control determines the shifter is not engaging the basket for spin or disengaging it for wash.
Check shifter connectors.
Check for clothing or another item wedged between the impeller and the basket that could bind them together.
Check that the shifter slider moves freely.
See TEST #3a: Drive System – Shifter

I'd first check for something wedged underneath the impeller(washplate).

Here's the impeller(washplate) for your model:
W10902814 Washplate
whirlpool-washplate-w10902814-ap6037948_01_m.jpg

Watch this video below, he uses 2 pull hook tools to get it off, but yours may come off must easier, once you remove the impeller bolt try to just pull it up and off:

Jake

MMJ124

Premium Member
Thanks again for all your help with this. We did try removing the plate, found a few coins under it but, the problem persisted when we put it back. My husband did not want to try taking it apart to check the shifter so instead he borrowed some old washer that we're using until the guy from the store comes to (hopefully) fix ours.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Thanks for the update!

Let us know what the guy from the store finds when he gets to it, if you could please.:)

Jake

MMJ124

Premium Member
I will do that - our date got pushed out another week, because they had the wrong address (somewhere 100 miles away) for today. Who knew extended warranties were so painful.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sorry to hear that.

Yes let us know how it goes.:)

Thanks!

Jake

MMJ124

Premium Member
They were here today - and said it's a bad transmission. So now, waiting for the part to come in and then they'll come back to fix it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Anytime!

Jake