• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Washer MVWB450WQ1 Noisy

Ponchoguy

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWB450WQ1
Brand
Maytag
Jake:

If you would kindly have a listen to this video with the noise on my sister's washer. She said it will make the noise with a small load or large load. She said she did a load that made the machine off balance perhaps. I told her to make sure it is level all the way around in the meantime before I can get there. Comes back as being made in Clyde, OH in August 2010.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Ponchoguy

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. Looks like the parts are very expensive and there's a chance that the stator could need replacement (if it's cracked), adding to the cost. I see a lot of aftermarket kits, but I'm not sure I would trust them to fit correctly.

Do you believe it's worth it? We're looking at $100 for the kit, $149 for the tool, and the stator if needed is almost another $200. At that point, would it be worth it to "circular file" the machine and just buy a new one? I hate to go that way as I'm into repairing over throwing out.

I was against this machine from day #1. I'm all about dials and manual controls, something becoming harder in today's society.....

What do you think?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No Poncho, not for a 10 year old machine.

You can buy a new washer for $499 to $599

All us techs here recommend Maytag, Whirlpool, Amana.

Jake

Ponchoguy

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake, did not think so. I think my sister said to the effect of, "I'll run that SOB it until it goes and then I'm going to get an old school machine". (taps playing in the background....).

Any specific models you'd look at? Are the new ones still direct drive or are they back to belts and which would you recommend? I'm of the premise of direct drive, dials if possible, no electronics. Go with capacity/size and simplicity. That's me.

I'd also throw in a WLP made Kenmore, but Sears is really drying up, forget about fixing the machine (which I would do), it's getting one due to no stores being around that's a hassle.

Thanks as always.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sears and Sears Hometown are very much coming to the end. I know the owner very well, she owns both the Parker, AZ and Blythe, CA. Sears Hometown and they cut her bonus bigtime and she can't make a living on the Parker, AZ anymore and the appliances are becoming harder and harder to get.

So its best to go to Home Depot or Lowes and look at the Maytag and Whirlpool washers. The lower end models are belt drive, the higher end models are stator and rotor models(No drive belt). Either is fine.

Jake

Ponchoguy

Premium Member
I'd only want a WLP made Kenmore anyway, so that rules many of them out, because I'm not sure that many of them are WLP made (easy enough to check by downloading the owner's manuals for them and looking at the source codes....).

Thanks. I suppose the current one she has now is stator drive because I don't see a belt or coupling on it like a traditional WLP as you said. Yup, off to the "Orange Menace" or "How Lowe Can You Go". She'll also look at independent dealers too as I believe there are a few in town.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Poncho, sounds good.

Kenmore Washers made by Whirlpool start with model number 110.

Jake