• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Washer MVWB765FC3 - Remove Tub

mecheng

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWB765FC3
Brand
Maytag
When you spin my washer tub by hand, there is noticeable friction for a portion of the spin. It always occurs during the same part of the rotation and you can hear something rubbing. Additionally, the washer no longer spins during the wash cycle. It always throws an out of balance error, likely due to the aforementioned friction.

So, I'm trying to remove the tub and diagnose. I've removed the spanner nut but that's as far as I've gotten. There's a toothy looking washer below the spanner nut that looks to have maybe a rubber seal on it's inner diameter, and I'm not sure if that has to be removed or not. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure you have to remove the spanner nut at all to get the tub out. You can move the center shaft independently of the larger threaded diameter that the spanner nut threads to, just a hair, maybe a little less than a 16th of an inch, but when trying to pull the tub out, it doesn't budge. There is what appears to be a shaft seal around the shaft (hard to tell cause it's so dirty) and I wouldn't expect it to be putting up this big of a fight.

Should the tub be coming out at this point or do I need to also remove something from the underside? This is throwing me for a loop since most of the videos I've seen there's a retaining clip you remove and the tub comes right out. Mine had no such clip.

Attachments

• IMG_7378.JPG
    IMG_7378.JPG
    406.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7377.JPG
    IMG_7377.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 23

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
#6 is the spanner nut, and that's all there is that holds the inner basket in place.

There is what appears to be a shaft seal around the shaft (hard to tell cause it's so dirty) and I wouldn't expect it to be putting up this big of a fight.
That's the tub seal that comes with the gearcase. The inner basket is likely stuck if you can't lift the inner basket up and out, you may need a helper to assist you. Use a lot of force to lift it up and out and move it back and forth/side to side while lifting up on the inner basket.

From the looks of that gearcase shaft, then possibly the problem. #12 is the gearcase.

Jake

mecheng

Premium Member
Thx for the reply Jake. I used the car jack method with a 2x4 and the tub slid right off the shaft. And you were correct, #12 is toast. A shame the gear box fails on a $1k, 1 yr old washer. Wife opted to get an entirely new one vs replacing a $300+ part.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Yes I agree.

Thanks for the update!

Jake