Maytag Washer MVWX500XW1 Motor will not turn!

Eli Gomez

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWX500XW1
Brand
Maytag
Ok.. Washer was super quiet when purchased. 2 weeks ago it started getting loud sounded like a Jet taking off in the laundry room. I knew it had to be the seal went out and water has ruined the bearings...Looking into this model, I had to buy the complete Gear Casing that has the bearings and spindle in cased. Purchased this extremely expensive Gear Casing, removed the old one, installed the new one along with swapping over the Motor, Capacitor and Actuator. Preformed a reset and calibrated. Washer does EVERYTHING but Spin and agitate. It hangs Up...I have installed a New Capacitor AND Actuator. Re-calibrated and it is doing the same thing! The Lid LOCKS fine... I ran diagnostic and I am getting Codes F7 E1.

I took the belt off of the motor and cycled it to spin/agitate mode and the motor does not turn... I was turning fine with the old Gear Case on sounding like a Jet!

At this time and $350 later, I am stumped! I should have just bought a new washer....

Could the Lid lock sensor have went out? I am not getting a code for it but, washers only spin/agitate if it Knows the lid is closed and locked...Is their another sensor somewhere that I need to check?? I am truly stumped and for the life of me cannot figure out why the Motor will not turn. Everything seams right and 3 major components have been replaced. I have looked over all the wires with a flashlight and I see no sign of any cut or loose wires.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That's weird. OK, lets go one step at a time and we will get it figured. Go into manual test mode and run the spin and agitate. The next step assumes you were unsuccessful. Does the basket turn freely?

Eli Gomez

Premium Member
The LAST thing I can think of is the Lid Lock is Working, but maybe sensor not telling the motor that the lid is locked.. so it will not spin..
Or there is another sensor somewhere...

rickgburton

Staff member
Unplug the machine. Remove console to access main control. Visually check the J2 and J16 connectors are inserted all the way into the main control. If they are, remove the J16 connector and measure the resistance across J16-1 and J16-2. Your meter should indicate 2,000 to 3,500Ω. If the values are correct, connect the J16 connector to the board and plug in the machine. Set your meter to VAC and connect the black lead to J16-2 (N) and the red lead to J16-1 (L1). Activate the shifter motor by switching between agitate and spin in manual test mode. Lid must be closed with Lid Lock enabled. It will take 4–15 seconds for the shifter to change states. Meter indicates 120 VAC?

Eli Gomez

Premium Member
I checked the J2 and J16 also. I checked the ohms bit I was getting 3.43. Not too familiar with the multimeter settings. I then checked the AC in J16-2 and J16-1 but could not get the switch between agitate and spin while holding the multimeter pins in the connections.

Eli Gomez

Premium Member
I’m back working on it. So, I cannot figure out how or where I can install the multimeter pins to the plug while it’s plugged in

Eli Gomez

Premium Member
When I go into manual mode and turn the dial until Wash / Spin lights are illuminated and press Start it does not let me start these modes

Eli Gomez

Premium Member
When I go to Automatic Test Mode it goes through every part and all work but when it is on Wash or Spin the motor is not moving. I can see the New actuator moving and I can hear it. But the motor never kicks on. I confirmed 115v are going To the motor.

How could the motor go bad if all I did was unplug and swap the motor over to the new Gear case and plugged it in?

rickgburton

Staff member
Use the safety pin trick and go in through the back of the J16 connector. Make sure it's touching the metal inside the connector.

Eli Gomez

Premium Member
I got connection. Ran all of the tests. At this point, I am leaning toward the lid lock. Locking but not allowing motor to turn on.