• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Washer PAV2300AWW - Agitates, doesn’t spin

DennisStephen

Premium Member
Model Number
PAV2300AWW
Brand
Maytag
My washer vibrated off the small pedestal it sits on, due to unbalanced load. The pulley rubbed on the plywood pedestal. The thrust bearing cam completely melted. The pulley is intact.

Agitates fine (without a load in the machine; haven’t tried that), whether I’m turning the pulley by hand (little to no resistance) or by motor. In the opposite direction (I.e., CCW), it turns by hand or motor with some/moderate resistance. The basket doesn’t turn. Turning the basket CW (looking down from top of machine; so spin direction) by hand (high resistance), the pulley rotates the same amount (1:1).

I’m afraid I need a new transmission (or repair it), but I’m hoping you have another idea. Any good news?

Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Don't turn the basket.

Unplug the machine, Lean the machine back and remove the belt from the main drive pulley and with your hand, turn the main BIG pulley. In one direction the agitator will agitate back and forth. In the other direction the pulley pushes against the thrust bearing releasing the brake. The inner tub, transmission and drive pulley will turn as a unit.
whirlpool-thrust-bearing-kit-12002213-ap4009132_01_m.jpg

Jake

DennisStephen

Premium Member
Thank you. I’ve been turning the big pulley with the belt off (and also by motor with the belt on), with results as described above. The thrust bearing cam is one big blob of plastic, so I guess it’s not releasing the brake.

I need to replace the thrust bearing (kit), clearly. I can turn the transmission input shaft (with the big pulley) in spin direction but the output shaft doesn’t turn. Turning the pulley in the agitate direction (clockise), the basket agitates.

I expect I need a need a new transmission (or repair it, possibly). Anything else I can try before I take that step?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
the basket agitates.
The basket agitates? Only the agitator should agitate, so if the basket is agitating, you will need a new transmission as well.

Here's the transmission for your model you can order here:
Transmission 35-6615

The transmission is almost the price of a new washer.

Jake

DennisStephen

Premium Member
What I’m wondering is, since the transmission input shaft is turning (I mean the outer shaft, visible just above the thrust bearing) and the output shaft is not, is the transmission necessarily shot?

Once I get the new thrust bearing on, I can see if anything changes. So far I haven’t managed to pull the pulley off the shaft (the melted thrust cam holding it on there pretty good!).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What I’m wondering is, since the transmission input shaft is turning (I mean the outer shaft, visible just above the thrust bearing) and the output shaft is not, is the transmission necessarily shot?
No, its only shot if the agitator was not moving back and forth when you turned the transmission pulley, OR if the agitator was moving back and forth while its spinning at the same time.

The only problem on yours is the trust bearing kit, since it was working good before this mishap.

Jake

DennisStephen

Premium Member
Thank you Jake.

I have followed the instructions for replacing the thrust bearing kit. I am unable to press the pulley on far enough to put the E clip on with even the thin spacer. The groove for the E clip shows just enough to get the clip on with no spacers.

I’ve tried laying the washer on its side and someone pushing the agitator with their foot. The shaft doesn’t budge at all (brake spring doesn’t compress, I assume).

What next, and thanks in advance.
54F985AD-9441-4635-B44F-308DDFF97564.jpeg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Keep trying, you will get it on, trust me.:)

See the transmission shaft grove at the end of your transmission shaft in your picture, just get a flathead screwdriver and pry it down, then put the C-clip on. I know its hard to do alone, if you can get someone to assist you while you pry the shaft down and then other person can put the C-clip in there.

attachment.php

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.