• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Washer PAV3360AWW - grinding noise on agitation

magpiejay

Premium Member
Model Number
PAV3360AWW
Brand
Maytag
We got this unit with our house and it's been fine, occasionally unbalancing, and a few days ago suddenly developed a loud grinding noise during agitation. This seemed to be associated with less or no agitation as well. The unit spins absolutely fine, and drains, no extra noise. I pulled apart the agitator, and found that the washer hub seal nut had disintegrated quite a bit and there was wear on the lower agitator where that pushes on it. But the inner gear teeth on the lower agitator look fine. I ran it with the agitator off and it still grinds, but the agitator seems to move as it should.

I flipped it up and looked at the washer pulley and thrust bearing, but that all seemed okay.

Questions: obviously, what's going on? And specifically, if the washer pumps and spins just fine, it must not be the motor? Is it something further inside? I can provide pics of what I did but I am not sure I've gotten down to the actual issue.

I'm considering doing this myself rather than buying a new washer because these seem to be well-regarded. Any thoughts on this? Shoudl I just replace?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its possibly the drain pump pulley bearing that has gone bad.

What I do is tilt the washer back and remove the belt from the pulleys, then turn the drain pump pulley by hand and see if it turns smooth both ways, if not you will need a new drain pump, and if it burned the plastic motor pulley you need to replace that too along with a new belt.

The serial number of your washer determines which drain pump your model takes.

If the serial number of your washer starts with 18 or lower, here's the drain pump for your model you can order:
WP35-6465 Drain Pump Assembly

If the serial number of your washer starts with 19 or higher, here's the drain pump for your model you can order:
WP35-6780 Washer Drain Pump Assembly

Let us know what you find.

Jake

magpiejay

Premium Member
I'll check this. But would the pump pulley be doing anything when the washer is washing/agitating? The noise happens THEN, but not when the washer is pumping water out. It does that fine.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, on this model the drain pump pulley turns both ways when its agitating it turns one way, then in drain/spin it turns the other way. So that's how it can make the grinding noise while its agitating.:)

Yes, keep us posted.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, did you turn the motor pulley and transmission pulley both ways too? Any grinding on those? If not, then you will need to make a video of this grinding noise you are hearing and upload the video hear so we can hear it too.

Jake

magpiejay

Premium Member
Here's the grinding sound:

Here's the washing spinning fine:

I'll get in there and crank things around again. I don't think the motor had any problems turning.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I heard it. Thanks!

The grinding noise is coming from the transmission.

Here's the transmission for your model:
Transmission 35-6615

You can buy a new Maytag washer for a little more than the cost alone of the transmission.

Jake

magpiejay

Premium Member
Jake, thanks so much for your help on this. Not the outcome I was hoping for, in terns of DIY success, but better than spending a bunch of time trying to fix it unsuccessfully.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I didn't say fix it unsuccessfully, It can be fixed successfully if you want to pour over $400 into this machine to fix it.:)

But that doesn't make sense, as you can buy a new machine for $500-$600.

Jake