• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Washer SAV515DEWW wet/soggy clothes.

Will Derr

Premium Member
Model Number
SAV515DEWW
Brand
Maytag
I'm having an issue where the clothes in my Maytag SAV515DEWW washer are still pretty soggy at the end of the cycle. A couple of years ago, I replaced the timer/control knob assembly because the washer was skipping the spin cycles. This problem is different. There's no water in the tub, but the clothes are still really soggy.

It is tough to observe a spin cycle because the safety switch on the lid is so sensitive with no visible easy way to defeat it, but I suspected that it wasn't spinning at full speed. Thinking the belt might be slipping, I replaced the belt (not easy on this model). After replacing the belt the issue remains. The spin cycle does not appear to be running as fast as it should, and clothes remain soggy. I'm guessing the problem may be with the motor or the transmission, but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot.

Thanks for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What is the serial number of your washer?

You have two bearings that can wear out and cause this problem.

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
#13 and #14 are those two bearings

Jake

Will Derr

Premium Member
The serial number is 14506456GL (not positive about the second and third digits from the end...my photo was pretty blurry).

Is there any way to confirm that the bearings are the cause? Would there be any visual indicator that they are worn?

Assuming the parts are available, how involved is the repair? If it involves breaking down most of the machine, is it worth for a 10+ year old washer? Skill wise I feel up to the challenge, but time, space, and enthusiasm are lacking.

At the same time, newer machines are more expensive, and from what I've heard don't last as long and aren't as easy to repair. I don't know if I'm ready to take that plunge yet.

Thanks again for your help.

Will

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You would need to get access to those bearings and see if they are binding up when you turn them.

Watch this video:

Jake

Will Derr

Premium Member
Ok, that's not as bad as I thought, but still a pretty big project as far as I'm concerned. And there's still a chance that there may be a different cause of the problem, right? I'm sure a pro could probably do it a lot faster, more efficiently, and be better prepared for other contingencies.

At this point I find myself wondering how much a service call for this would cost, and whether or not the cost would be better applied to a newer washer vs. a 10+ year old one. I'd welcome any insight you have with regards to new vs. old.

Thanks again.
Will

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your washer was made in June 2005 Will, so its 16 years old. The average life of washers is 8-12 years old.

Yes it is a big job to do, you'd need to disassemble the washer first to make sure that is the issue, so unless you had plenty of time on your hands, it would be more wise to buy a new washer, as other parts are wearing as well.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Will.

Jake