• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag YMER8650FZ1 Electric Range Bake element issue

Mike2021

Premium Member
Model Number
YMER8650FZ1
Brand
Maytag
About 6 months ago the Bake element failed, so I replaced it. About a week ago the oven would heat up fine but the bake element would just randomly stop working at some point while cooking. Now it has stopped working completely. The
broil element seems fine and everything else on the range works as it should. I would really appreciate some guidance around what and where I should be looking to solve this problem. I have a multimeter. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Mike, I'd use my volt meter and put the volt meter leads on each bake element terminal and see if you are getting 240 volts with BAKE ON at 350.

Its easy on this model to take the volt reading from the two BAKE element terminals, you just pull the range out and remove that back cover per the video and you will see the two BAKE element terminals.

If your meter reads 240 volts and not glowing red, then the BAKE element is bad. Check the place where you got it from, you may have warranty on it.

All parts from AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic come with a 365 day warranty.:)

Here's the bake element for your model you can order if needed:
W10779716 Bake Element

For others following your thread, Watch this video to access it:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Mike2021

Premium Member
Jake,
Thanks for the help. I found that one of the oven leads had overheated and melted/broken off the bake element terminal. What do you think caused this? Needless to say I need a new element as well as a new end to solder to the oven wire. Would you happen to know if these are standard electrical connectors, or are they specific to range manufacturers? Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Mike, glad you found the problem.(y)

Yes, seen that many times, I don't know the cause though.

Any hardware store will have those terminals. You need a new FEMALE spade connector wire terminal.

I use my wire stripping tool:
Wire Stripper

Cut the burnt wire off and strip the wire insulation back a little and put a new FEMALE spade connector on it, and crimp it down tight and push the new FEMALE spade connector into the new MALE spade on the same exact terminal on the new heating element.

Jake

RagPicker

Premium Member
Jake,
Thanks for the help. I found that one of the oven leads had overheated and melted/broken off the bake element terminal. What do you think caused this? Needless to say I need a new element as well as a new end to solder to the oven wire. Would you happen to know if these are standard electrical connectors, or are they specific to range manufacturers? Thanks again.
If you've recently (6 month old element) replaced the bake element and now you've gotten a wiring burnout failure...you'll want to be sure that the spades slide on with some slight resistance. After sliding on to the 1/4" spade, give a slight pull from the wire to be sure the spade doesn't easily slide off. If spades are that loose, they'll give the result you had. Also, a good crimp is very critical on the replacement, or you may be doing this again in 6 months. If the tension of the new spade is loose, remove it from the male end and provide a slight squeeze to the rolled metal on the spade. Reinstall and retest. Be sure not to squeeze the female spade after sliding on...it won't provide good results that you'll need.