• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytage OTR Micro dead

Macattak1

Premium Member
Model Number
MMV5165AA
Brand
Maytag
This is an 2004 unit.

No activity at all. No lights on pad, no light when opening, etc.

I checked the outlet it is plugged into by simply plugging in a coffee grinder and that works. Fuse in basement was not popped, but I did reset. Only thing affected.

As ALWAYS - Thanks much!
Mac

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

A copy:

Q - My microwave is completely dead.
A - House fuse has blown or interior fuse inside the microwave has blown ( usually a part inside the microwave makes this fuse blow ) Sometimes a bad fuse holder inside the microwave cannot hold the fuse tight enough and the fuse will blow as well.

And something else...

Q - I burnt something in my microwave and now it is dead...help!
A - The fuse inside the microwave may have blown, but more commonly the flame/oven thermostat has sensed the over cooked food and the flame/oven/cavity thermostat has opened up - Info on that

jeff.

Macattak1

Premium Member
Thanks much. The only fuse I can find and see in my electrical doc inside the mic shows yellowish plastic rectangular snap clip over a white looking fuse that I am unsure of how to verify if bad?

Any way to test? I did ensure it was connected tightly, it did appear to have some play in it. But hate to put it back together before I plug it in. Do not really desire to plug it in with out faceplate on.

Macattak1

Premium Member
Put back together and it is still just dead in the water. Nothing.
Start testing ohms on stuff?

Thanks

jeff1

Staff member
the mic shows yellowish plastic rectangular snap clip over a white looking fuse that I am unsure of how to verify if bad?
Continuity or ohm it.

Ohm: When ohm ( continuity ) testing a switch, thermostat, element, etc, you will need to isolate the item by removing the wires to that item so you can properly ohm test it...( write down what wire goes where first! ) R X 1 is a good scale to start out with when doing some ohm / continuity testing.

jeff.​

Macattak1

Premium Member
Jeff, or anyone,

My testing looks like the Transformer and or Magnetron may be bad. Not 100% sure as I am not the best ohm tester around. I have an older radio shack one that has worked for me in the past plus a brand new Extech EX710 800-Ampere Clamp Meter.

So I may be forced to just buy a new OTR Microwave. I have access to consumer reports and generally do a lot of research on most everything over $25 that I buy.

Any suggestions? I have never like Maytag...

Peace and Blessings

jeff1

Staff member
My testing looks like the Transformer and or Magnetron may be bad
Magnetron will only effect the cooking not the entire unit going dead.....high voltage transformer or low voltage transformer? HVtransformer is for cooking only, low volatge transformer -may- make the unit dead.

So I may be forced to just buy a new OTR Microwave
Most come out of the same two factories anyways.....17 names and only two different versions :eek:

Over-the-Range Microwave Ovens Product Reviews and Prices - Epinions.com
JMO! Stay away from Whirlpool, Panasonic or GE

jeff.