• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MBF1956HES Maytag Fridge makes noise unless freezer drawer is open

ebennettr

Premium Member
Model Number
MBF1956HES
Brand
Maytag
My 15 year old fridge/freezer makes a constant noise which stops when the freezer door is opened. The noise is continuous regardless of whether the compressor is running or not. Do I need to give up on the old gal (meaning the fridge_?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Can you take a video of this noise with your iphone or android and upload it here so we can hear it?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It sounds like possibly the evaporator fan motor in the freezer, or the air damper motor in the refrigerator section. If you open either door can you pinpoint the noise better?

Jake

ebennettr

Premium Member
Jake, just did an experiment. When I open the freezer drawer (bottom on this one) and turn off the light in there, manually, the noise starts again. Otherwise, with the drawer open there is no noise. I did test to see if it could come from the ice maker by raising the sensor (?) bar so that it would stop making ice and the noise continued. Don't know if this suggests problems/solutions to you.

I'll send a contribution to thank you for your help. Stay safe.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I know what that noise is now, its the evaporator fan motor in your freezer. You'd need to replace it to stop the noise.:)

Here's the evaporator fan motor for your model you can order:
WPW10128551 Evaporator Fan Motor

When you click the evaporator fan motor part link you will see a video on how to replace it.

Jake