FIXED MBF1956KEW3 Maytag freezer has thin layer of ice on bottom and water on floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frederick

Model
MBF1956KEW3
Brand
Maytag
Maytag freezer has thin layer of ice on bottom and water on floor. Freezer is on the bottom on unit. Any instructions on cleaning/repairing?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you have to take all the food out of your freezer and remove the shelf/shelves then remove the back panel from inside the freezer, the middle air vent has 2 small clips inside you will see on each side you release and that pops out.

You will need a hair dryer and hot water to melt the ice thats covering the defrost drain hole.

Then run something down the defrost drain hole.

I use a evaporator cooler spider snake: http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Products/Cooler-Spider-Snake__CLR4690.aspx

They are used basically in Arizona to clean out the water pump tubes that run to the cooler pads.

I don't know if they would sell them in your area, but if you go to your local hardware store, they should have something similar to run down your drain to clean it completely out.

Jake

stephenju

Premium Member
I just had the exact same problem. I was able to melt the ice with a hair drier. I then plugged a soft plastic tube that is just thick enough to fill the drain hole and blew air into it. That cleared it right away and the water drains easily now.

Thanks for this post and reply. I was suspecting the ice maker leaking.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job fixing yours.:)

Jake

rrb14

Premium Member
Same problem on my Maytag RSW2200CAE

Hello,
I am new to this forum. I am very impressed with the quality of the responses to problems. I have a Maytag side by side model RSW2200CAE in which accumulates on the bottom and with the water run off that comes from the freezer door.
I have not taken all of the food out yet, but looking at the inside back I do not see any screws for removing a panel. Do you think this same solution is applicable to my refrigerator?
Your response would be appreciated. I thought this would be better than starting a new thread?
Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

rrb14

Premium Member
Jake,
Thank you. Problem solved. I used a piece of 16 gauge insulated bell wire and threaded it through. Then I blew back using a glass straw from the bottom.
Out of scope, but It looks like that hole could easily freeze over. I will keep an eye out for the ice accumulation.
You are the man!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake

Little joe

I am new to this forum so let me know if I am doing something wrong. I have the same problem with icing and water in the bottom freezer on my 2011 maytag #MBF1958XES0. I can't seem to locate the drain plug.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I am new to this forum so let me know if I am doing something wrong. I have the same problem with icing and water in the bottom freezer on my 2011 maytag #MBF1958XES0. I can't seem to locate the drain plug.
Yours is a Amana made Maytag style.

Here's the freezer section parts diagram for your model: 02-Freezer Liner Parts parts for Maytag MBF1958XES0

You will need to remove everything from the freezer including the shelves and ice maker, then remove the back panel#11. The air vent #22 should have 2 clips on both sides of it that you would need to unsnap with a flathead screwdriver first before removing the back panel.

Then the defrost drain hole is located underneath the evaporator coils, clear all the ice in your drain trough and drain hole with a hair dryer and hot water, then run something down the drain hole, then run a little bleach down it.

I use a evaporator cooler spider snake to run down that defrost drain hole: http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Products/Cooler-Spider-Snake__CLR4690.aspx

They are used basically in Arizona to clean out the water pump tubes that run to the cooler pads.

I don't know if they would sell them in your area, but if you go to your local hardware store, they should have something similar to run down your drain to clean it completely out.

Jake

BillSr

Premium Member
Brand: Maytag
Model: MBF2258XEB1
Problem: Water freezing in bottom of freezer.

Maytag freezer has thin layer of ice on bottom and water on floor. Freezer is on the bottom on unit. Removed panel in back but did not see anything to cleanout or defrost.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You removed the back panel INSIDE the freezer?

Jake

marylinda

Premium Member
Hi, I have the same problem with my 2011 Maytag #MBF1958XES0, and I am going to try to fix it myself with the help of these instructions. Thanks for the explanation, as I'm hoping to avoid a hefty service charge.

I would like to leave off the ice maker after I've removed it. I don't use it, and it's just in the way of stuff in the freezer. Would there be any downside to leaving it off, as far as the functioning of the freezer is concerned?

Thanks for your reply!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Would there be any downside to leaving it off, as far as the functioning of the freezer is concerned?
Nope.

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member
Your welcome.

jeff.

marylinda

Premium Member
Hello again. I'm trying this right now (taking everything out, drawers, etc). I am unable to remove the drawer rails so I can take off the back panel inside the freezer. I have been unable to find any instructions on how to do that. Any hints?

Thanks very much!

jeff1

Staff member
Glad to hear you are getting somewhere with it :)

jeff.

bethmde

Premium Member
Hi. I have a Maytag MSD2756GEB and also had water on freezer floor. i followed direction from a previous post and all worked out well. Poured hot water down the drain. Now about a month later and more water on floor. What might be a bigger problem at hand? Also, do I need to turn off the power to remove panel and pour water down drain. I assume yes and did so.

Status
Not open for further replies.