FIXED MBF1956KEW3 Maytag freezer has thin layer of ice on bottom and water on floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi. I have a Maytag MSD2756GEB and also had water on freezer floor. i followed direction from a previous post and all worked out well. Poured hot water down the drain. Now about a month later and more water on floor. What might be a bigger problem at hand? Also, do I need to turn off the power to remove panel and pour water down drain. I assume yes and did so.
Very common problem, here's our main thread on this problem and how to fix it: FIXED Maytag freezer leaking onto floor, ice on bottom

Jake

mtroxel

Premium Member
This forum helped me a lot with this problem on my Maytag MBL2258XES1 so I wanted to give back a little. I didn't want to just thaw the ice in the drain...it's just going to come back. So I took a tip from someone else here (now I can't find it) who wrapped a piece of copper wire around the heater and threaded it down the hole. Will it work? We'll find out.

But this pic will show what I did, and help some other guys see the drain we're talking about. The red arrows point to the copper wire I wrapped around the heater and snaked down the drain. Hope this helps keep it thawed. If you can't see the drain this copper wire is going into, it might be that you've got so much ice there that it just looks white like the rest of the freezer interior.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good Tip, keep us posted if that solved this drain hole freeze up problem.:)

Give it a few days.

Jake

mtroxel

Premium Member
4 months to the day. Here's today's picture. Looks a lot like the one from last August. You can see some ice buildup on the evaporator fins, but my copper wire wrapped around the defrost heater is clean and so is the hole it's snaked down.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Looks Good.:)

Jake

Frozen15

I'm having the same problem with my French Door Maytag MFI2569YEM. Based on the picture someone else put in this thread, I think I see that the hole is plugged. But I wanted to see if you had any help to give me, based on my model. Thanks for helping.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm having the same problem with my French Door Maytag MFI2569YEM. Based on the picture someone else put in this thread, I think I see that the hole is plugged. But I wanted to see if you had any help to give me, based on my model. Thanks for helping.
On your model there is a kit for you to install, I will post the kit you can order and the video of how to install it.

Drain Pipe W10619951

Watch this video:

<iframe width="496" height="304" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7rk9LFXIv-E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jake

mtroxel

Premium Member
I'm now over two years since my copper wire fix. Used to have to chisel ice off the bottom every month or two, haven't touched it for over 2 years now.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent mtroxel, it has been 2 years hasn't it? WOW, how time fly's since your first post!

You should patent this and sell it to all the appliance manufacturers.:)

Jake

JaredReall

I'm now over two years since my copper wire fix. Used to have to chisel ice off the bottom every month or two, haven't touched it for over 2 years now.

Hey @Mtroxel - Could you give a bit more of a detailed of How-to - to do this...

Basically you just wrapped a copper tube around the heater and then what?

I see the pictures, but I'm about to get a fridge donated to me and it's had this issue in the past... :p

Thanks guys!

mtroxel

Premium Member
Hey @Mtroxel - Could you give a bit more of a detailed of How-to - to do this...

Basically you just wrapped a copper tube around the heater and then what?
Sorry Jared. Just saw this. I took the sheet metal (we're talking big beer cans) off the back, bent the defrost coil out a bit and wrapped a piece of copper wire around it. When I put the defroster back in place, I put the pig tail of the copper wire down that hole. In 3 weeks it will be 3 years since I did that. I haven't had to chip ice out of the freezer once since I did that. I was doing it about once/month before.

mtroxel

Premium Member
Well, I was feeling pretty smug. Four years ago in post 22 of this thread I showed how I wrapped copper wire around the defroster and bent it down the drain hole. It solved my problem for 4 years. Now I"m back. Ice on the floor of the freezer, an hour of hair dryer with food all over the kitchen. Drain tray was completely filled with ice, but I spent most of my time with the hair dryer pointed at the back panel on the right side as water kept dripping down long after all the other ice was completely gone. Now a week later, I see evidence of ice in the same area, already. My copper wire is in place but that only works if the defroster heats up. Do I really have a dead defroster?

Attachments

Last edited:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Water/ice indicates the defrost is working but the water is not running away at all or not running away fast enough. Clean/flush out the drain system as the best place to start.

jeff.

mtroxel

Premium Member
Thanks Jeff. Drain system is completely clear. I reached up from the back and squeezed that little rubber nipple sticking out of the drain and it was clear. I'm going to wait and see what happens. Maybe I'm watching too closely since I had constant drama a few years ago. I do not relish taking that back panel off.

jeff1

Staff member
I reached up from the back and squeezed that little rubber nipple sticking out of the drain and it was clear.
Did you run something up the drain all the way to inside?

I do not relish taking that back panel off
Can you see the drain beginning with the panel in place?

jeff.

mtroxel

Premium Member
Did you run something up the drain all the way to inside?
There's not much to snake in this drain. There's a little rubber nipple thing above the compressor and the water tray. If I can move that around with my finger and feel that that it's wet, I think I've got it.

Can you see the drain beginning with the panel in place?
Pretty much. Here's the pic after I wrapped that copper wire around the defroster and down the hole. Right underneath that is the rubber nipple thing down in the compressor area.

jeff1

Staff member
My point was the drain does not have to be plugged or plugged solid...just restricted or slow. All water doesn't go away fast enough and next defrost water adds a little and next and next and eventually the drain is clogged with ice and over flows all over the place.

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member
Clear as mud? ;) LOL

jeff.

mtroxel

Premium Member
No it's good. I think your experience is telling me you're not as sure as I am. And I've learned to listen to that. But at this point, its all back together and everything is frozen. So I'm going to wait till its broken before I fix it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.