• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED MBF1958XES Maytag Freezer Not Defrosting? Fridge can't cool

shamilto

Premium Member
Model Number
MBF1958XES
Brand
Maytag
About every 2 months my fridge stops cooling, and Ive tracked it to the coils at the back of the freezer being frosted over. I defrost the entire freezer and it fixes the problem (thankfully Ive got a backup chest freezer, but its still a pain). Im guessing its the defrosting assembly not engaging on a daily basis? Any help and part recommendations would be appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

What we do is a process of elimination, meaning if both the defrost heater and defrost thermostat test good, that leaves just one other part left which is the JAZZ control board.

Check the defrost thermostat first. Ohm your defrost thermostat(WHILE ITS FROSTY) with a multimeter to check for continuity(unplug your refrigerator first). Normal ohm reading will be 0 ohms while its FROSTY. Unplug the refrigerator first before ohm testing both parts!

Here's the defrost thermostat for your model below, its the black round part in the wire harness that comes with it, it clips on the top of the evaporator coil.

WPW10165425 Bimetl-Def

If its not frosty, you will have to put it in a glass of ice water for at least 5 MINUTES before ohm testing it, watch this video:

[video=youtube_share;zmdsBkO46dk]https://youtu.be/zmdsBkO46dk[/video]

If the defrost thermostat tests good, then ohm test your defrost heating element.

Here's the defrost heating element for your model:
Defrost Heater Assembly WP12729127

Watch this video to test it:

[video=youtube;311BiD76iYg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=311BiD76iYg&feature=player_embedded[/video]

If both the defrost thermostat and defrost heating element OHM test fine then its your JAZZ control board that's bad.

Here's the JAZZ control board for your model you can order here:
JAZZ Control Board WPW10503278

Video Included in part link.

Keep us posted.

Jake

shamilto

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! This is super helpful.

When I get a chance I'll get in there and do some testing. Seems like I'll have to remove the ice maker and the two sliding side rails to get the rear freezer panel off. Heres to hoping its not a huge pain since I'll have to do it twice.

I'll keep you posted on results.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, remove the ice maker and side rails first.

Yes, keep us posted.

Jake

shamilto

Premium Member
Figured I'd post an update.

I ordered a thermostat ahead of time just in case that was the issue once I got it open and it was the cheapest part. Testing the thermostat in ice water resulted in no continuity. "great!" I thought as I replace it and close the thing back up. Here we are 2 weeks later and its frozen over again :/. While I was in there I also tested the heating element by unplugging both ends from the system and it appeared to have continuity, so no problem there. I guess that leaves the jazz board right? I found the code for manually triggering a defrost cycle (hold fridge light, press refrigerator temp down 3 times and release, then fridge temp down once more to trigger). From what I could tell (sticking a thermometer in the grates as close to the heating element as possible), the thing isn't turning on even with that. I also couldn't hear the heater turn on at all, which I assumed I would be able to. So at this point I suppose I need to replace the control board and keep my fingers crossed. Any further advice would be appreciated if this isn't the right coarse of action. Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, if you replaced the defrost thermostat and your defrost heater is good, then it can only be a bad JAZZ control board.

Let us know how it goes after you replace it.

Jake

shamilto

Premium Member
Well... after ordering the right right part but receiving the wrong one, and having to manually defrost my freezer a fourth time, I finally got the correct part. Thankfully I was able to find the manual which described how to alter the control code, as I had to change the control code of the new board to match the one found on near the serial number of the fridge itself. Im happy to report that every thing seems to now be functioning correctly. As the freezer was already in need of another defrost, it immediately kicked in and started a defrost cycle. I appreciate the very helpful advice, I always learn so much on these forums.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that you're back in business.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

shamilto

Premium Member
A little under a year later and I need to bump this thread to get a little more help. My freezer coils began frosting over again. Using the fridges service menu system I can do a manual defrost which works to keep the fridge functional but it doesn't seem to be triggering the automated defrost cycle on its own. I assume since it can run the manual defrost cycle that the defrost thermostat is also functioning properly since it should be able to heat up without continuity. Do I need to replace the jazz board again? And if so, any idea on why this would fail again after only a year? Anything I can do to help avoid jazz board replacement on a yearly basis? Maybe im just unlucky...

~Scott

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Scott,

Did you order the JAZZ board from my link to it above in post#2 at AppliancePartsPros?

If so, locate your receipt they emailed you and see the DATE on it, you have 1 year warranty on all parts you order.

Jake