MBR1957VES4 Maytag bottom freezer not going to defrost mode

alice 1960

Premium Member
Model Number
MBR1957VES4
Brand
Maytag
Hey Folks,like the title says the freezer is not defrosting.I removed the back cover on inside and it was frosted up.
The compressor motor keeps running and has dropped the freezer temp way down but never shuts off to go to defrost mode.
This happened last week also so I unplugged the fridge and ran a heat gun along the vent at the bottom of the coils and it went back to normal for a week and now is back to contstant running with no defrost.
The model is a MBR1957VES4. Thanks

Corrected model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, W10208789A isn't the model number.

Click here: Appliance Parts

Then you will see a link that says: How to find a model number.

Jake

alice 1960

Premium Member
Thanks Jake.
The correct model is MBR1957VES4.
I manually defrosted it this morning after my first post and put her (Alice) back together and all is well again for now as the compressor is resting for periods time and it seems to be going through the normal cycles.
It all started when we got a hot spell and the freezer got really cold and left the icecream like a rock,
I also blew out the coils with an airhose.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks, You have only 3 parts that control the defrost cycle, the JAZZ BOARD, defrost thermostat and defrost heater.

Unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet, then I would ohm test the defrost thermostat(WHILE ITS FROSTY) and see if you get continuity. If so, that's good. Then ohm test the defrost heater and see if you get under 50 ohms, if so that's good. Then the only part left is the JAZZ BOARD.

Here's the JAZZ BOARD for your model you can order:
Main Control Board WPW10503278

Jake

alice 1960

Premium Member
Thanks Jake,the freezer has dropped to -10 this morning and compressor sounds like it is running all the time.I will test the items you mentioned today,is there a video on running these tests?

alice 1960

Premium Member
Also ,last evening it did run normally as far as defrosting and going through the cycles. Does that point towards one component more than others?

alice 1960

Premium Member
Okay ,I tested the defrost heater and got 35 ohms and 13.5 on the defrost thermostat........so I am in for a new jazz board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your defrost heater ohms good.

Your defrost thermostat should be 0 ohms WHILE ITS FROSTY.:)

Your defrost thermostat mounts on the top of your evaporator coil.

If the defrost thermostat is not frosty, you can still test it in a glass of ice water, watch the video below. You'd need to keep the defrost thermostat in the glass of ice water at least 5 minutes before ohm testing it.

Here's the defrost thermostat assembly below for your model, it comes with the wire harness. The black round part is your defrost thermostat.:)

W11260592 Harns-Wire

Watch this video to ohm test it:

Unplug the wire harness first before ohm testing it.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

alice 1960

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, I will test it again in the morning (the fridge is acting normal right now). I looked at the harness when I had the freezer compartment apart this afternoon and it looks like it goes through to the back , do I unplug the harness from the back of the fridge or behind the fan?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There should be a quick disconnect inside the freezer behind or above the evaporator coil.

Jake

alice 1960

Premium Member
Thanks Jake , she is running like a charm now?? I will see if acts up today and pull it apart then, wierd it's going back and forth.
I don't have a backup so I am unloading product into coolers everytime I check something.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, if the defrost thermostat and defrost heater both ohm test good, then the only other part it can be is the JAZZ BOARD.:)

Jake