• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

MCO165UW Magic Chef microwave won't heat

davgard

Premium Member
Model
MCO165UW
Brand
Magic Chef
My Magic Chef microwave won't heat. it was working fine yesterday and now it runs but doesn't heat usually i can hear when it cycles during the timed cycle. now it just has a steady sound. any ideas?

model: MCO165UW

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
usually you can hear when the HV side kicks in and when it cycles on and off. Most of the time the problem is a faulty door switch. Check the door switches for continuity with a meter by opening and closing the door.

davgard

Premium Member
since first writing here, i learned that the microwave was run empty, it was being used to time something else and mistakenly the cook timer was used instead of the countdown timer. it seems maybe this is the cause, with that being said where do i go now? i will still look at the door switch just in case.