• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MCWBC77DZC Magic Chef Dual Zone Wine Cooler - Bottom zone runs constantly

COL

Premium Member
Model Number
MCWBC77DZC
Brand
Magic Chef
Hello guys.
Hoping some of you may be able to help me since no youtube video or website seems to describe what I am experiencing. I have two of these wine coolers. For a long time, I have only been using one since the second one ran out of freon a long time ago. The one that had been working, ran fine until last week when I started noticing the temperature going up and the freezer having issues keeping it down. I assumed it finally ran out of freon so I decided to recharge both of them. Upon connecting my gauge I was able to validate my assumption since the pressure was already in the vacuum section. I recharged both and plugged them back in. They immediately started cooling but what is interesting is that both are now running continuously. As stated, this is a dual zone cooler, so I can control the temperature for the upper and the bottom sections independently. Well, both sections cool down, but the bottom section keeps running even after reaching the set temperature (I am checking that with another thermometer).
I read the manual and it states that the temperature may vary +- 5degrees, yet the actual temperature is well below 5 degrees from the set temp. For example, I set it at 51 and it is currently at 43 and still running. I turn them off or sometimes disconnect them. Upon turning them on again, they seem to be fine (they do not immediately run) as I assume they recognize the temp to be within the parameters. Yet once the temp increases and both sections begin running, the bottom section never stops.
Another thing that I have done is to raise the bottom section's temperature to see if that will turn off the compressor. IF for example, the temp is set at 51 yet I know the actual temp is closer to 43, I then raise the temp to 54 and it turns off. It remains off for a while (I guess until the actual temp increases) and then it turns on again and runs continuously.
What am I missing? I thought the sensor would be faulty, but what are the chances both bottoms sensors would fail at the exact time after recharging? Also, after resetting both fridges (unplugging them and replugging them) it seems to work for a while, so that makes me think the sensors (Thermistors) are working.

To clarify. both coolers were recharged at the same time. Both are cooling down. Both top sections are working properly and turning off the fan once they reach the desired temp. Both bottom sections are running continuously yet cooling (working), the compressor never stops running even after reaching the desired temp.

Thanks

COL

Premium Member
Update:
one of the two coolers bottom section did stop after a VERY long time. Still, I am surprised that the bottom section's temp is higher than the top section, yet the top section stops as soon as it reaches the desire temp, while the bottom section ran continuously at least several hours longer. The other cooler is currently set at 51/51 and the bottom section has not stopped running even when the top section stopped long time ago and the actual temp on the bottom section is closer to 43F