• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MCWBC77DZC Magic Chef Dual Zone Wine Fridge will not cool

darge82

Model Number
MCWBC77DZC
Brand
Magic Chef
Hello. I have a magic Chef dual zone wine fridge that will not cool. The compressor is not coming on at all. The fridge was purchased in late 2014. It stopped working in early 2017, outside of the warranty. The fridge stopped cooling and the compressor does not come on. When I plug the fridge in, I hear 3 clicks, the fan comes on then about 30 seconds later, another click and the PTC relay starts to get warm.

I have already replaced the PTC starter relay and the overload protector. I also replaced the capacitor (white 2 wire cylinder). I did all of this back in early 2017. I did not realize that the compressor may be warrantied for 5 years if that is the issue. The fridge has been sitting in my basement since being unused. I decided to try to get it going again and am looking at my options on what to do.

I measured resistance at the 3 compressor pins. All pins to ground is OL. Pins C to S-7.1 ohms. Pins C to M- 7.9ohms, and S to M 14 ohms.

When I plug the fridge in. I have 117 volts at the red wire on the overload protector. After about 30 seconds I get a click and voltage goes to 120 volts. Also when this happens(when it clicks), voltage from the PTC relay to the capacitor(white cylinder with 2 wires) goes from 117volts to 0.

I am guessing the compressor is locked up but I just wanted to verify my measurements.

If it is the compressor, would it be possible to get it warrantied if I can find a receipt? It was purchased from Home Depot, but it was given to me as an Xmas gift.

Thanks

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Defective compressor

I am guessing the compressor is locked up but I just wanted to verify my measurements.
It doesn't really matter what the measurements are. If the compressor IS getting power and the relay and overload are good (they must be if replaced already) the compressor has to be defective. There's nothing else it could be.

I did not realize that the compressor may be warrantied for 5 years
The 5-year warranty covers the part only. Labor would be your responsibility and usually $150+. Check with MC Appl. Corp about the warranty coverage.

LINK > https://mcappliance.com/customer-service

Last edited: