FIXED MCWC50DBT magic chef beverage cooler can cool but wont

jsuss01

Premium Member
Model Number
MCWC50DBT
Brand
Magic Chef
Hi, my magic chef beverage cooler can cool but won't. It occasionally cooled then went up to room temp. I replaced the start relay and overload circuit. Then it worked fine for a week. Compressor came on; fan pushed warm air. Then it went back to intermittent cooling. Now, it will cool if i smack it or fiddle with the thermostat. But then it goes back up to room temp. this is driving me nuts. I'm grateful for any help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

jsuss01

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. Are you pretty confident about it? It's a real **** to pull out of the cabinet; i'm thinking it will be easier to just saw it in half and start over. ;)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Now, it will cool if i smack it or fiddle with the thermostat.
Yes, I'm very confident about that.:)

Jake

BusterT

Was your issue the control board?

I have the same issue with the mcwc50dbt.

The relay seems fine, no oxidation on ceramic insert.

I used to tap the back of control panel and sometimes the compressor would start up, cool the unit, but would not come back on again by its own.

I removed the control board this weekend and it looks fine (ie, no burn marks or loose soldered connections on board as seen in other posts), however if I wiggle the wires leading from the inside top of the fridge cabinet to the control board, the compressor will come on, but again will not come on again after the temp is reached. So how do I know if the issue is with the control board and needs to be replaced, or if the issue is something else?

jsuss01

Premium Member
yes, it was the temp control board. replacing it solved the problem. it was easily accessible from inside the fridge. if you want a functioning light, you need to order the LED light in addition to the board. the new control board doesn't support the incandescent light.